- An application may be completed online with the Secretary of State's office at http://www.in.gov/sos/business/2378.htm.
It is suggested that a notary use either one of the following:
- Both his/her first and middle names
- First name with middle initial
- Initial and middle name along with his/her surname
A person should not use both first and middle initials only (for example: J.S. Smith).
- The applicant takes the oath of office through the online feature.
- The applicant shall secure an official bond with freehold or corporate security, to be approved by the Secretary of State, in the sum of five thousand dollars ($5000). The bond shall be conditioned upon the faithful performance and discharge of duties of the office of the notary public, for the use by any person injured by a breach of the notary's duties.
(Ind. Code 33-42-2-1)
- Each application requires a ten dollar ($10) fee. Each duplicate commission also requires a ten dollar ($10) fee. Fees are payable by credit card or an IN.gov subscriber account.
- A seal must be used in all official acts of the notary public. Such may be purchased at various retail stores.
If any notary changes his/her name or county of residence during his/her term of commission, he/she shall notify the Secretary of State by revising their Commission through the online feature. The Secretary of State will issue a revised commission valid only for the remaining term of the original commission. If the notary misplaces his/her commission, he/she can download a duplicate commission, valid only during the duration of the original commission.
Return to Table of Contents