For immediate release: Dec 16, 2010 02:00:00 EST
Posted by: [IHB]
Contact: Dani Pfaff
Phone: 317-232-6276

Students "Adopt" Indiana Historical Marker, Re-dedication at Indiana State House, December 16

Earlier this year, teacher Chris Hammock, Park Tudor School, and seven students, Draven Cooper, Abigail O'Connell, Nathan Lee, Kalysta Lee, Sydney Allen, Riley Allen, and Madison Allen "adopted" a faded and worn state historical marker about the Civil War. They cleaned and repainted the marker, returning it to the original dark blue with gold letters. A public re-dedication ceremony for this marker and another marker about the state capitol, is scheduled for 2:00 P.M. Thursday, December 16, 2010. The ceremony will take place in the North Atrium of the State House on Capitol Avenue, in Indianapolis.

On December 20, 1946, the Indiana Historical Bureau dedicated the first state historical marker in our current format; this "State Capitol" marker initiated the new program to permanently mark 300 to 350 of the most historic sites in Indiana; the historical marker program continues today. The text of this marker is: "State capital was moved to Indianapolis, 1825, from Corydon. The capitol built on this site in 1835 was razed in 1878 to make way for this State House, completed in 1888."

In 1964, the Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission installed the "Civil War Arsenal, 1861-1864" marker on the State House grounds. The text of this marker is: "Governor Oliver P. Morton established a state arsenal to supply Indiana's troops with ammunition. First located adjacent to the state capitol, the arsenal was later moved to the present site of Arsenal Technical High School."

State historical markers commemorate significant individuals, organizations, places, and events in Indiana history. These markers help communities throughout the state promote, preserve, and present their history for the education and enjoyment of residents and tourists of all ages. For more than 95 years the Indiana Historical Bureau, an agency of the State of Indiana, has been marking Indiana history. Since 1946, the marker format has been the large roadside marker, which has the familiar dark blue background with gold lettering and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top. There are approximately 500 of these markers across the state.

Volunteers throughout the state-like the Park Tudor students-are helping the Historical Bureau to survey, paint, and repair state historical markers. Any person or group interested in volunteering to help with the repair and maintenance program is encouraged to contact the Historical Bureau.

For more information about this marker, the Indiana Historical Marker Program, and other resources about Indiana, please visit the Indiana Historical Bureau's website at www.IN.gov/history or call 317-232-6276.

« Back to News Release List

Link to this event:

Students "Adopt" Indiana Historical Marker, Re-dedication at Indiana State House, December 16 Dec 16, 2010 content_id:E3DD4518B8AE4B278626F0809F87FB8C; type:press; agency:IHB; showOnHomepage:Yes; sortDate:Dec 16, 2010; filterDate:201012; isBanner:no; agencyDivision:IHB;12 - December;2010;Press Release;Show on Home