"Randolph County Quakers" Indiana State Historical Marker Will Be Dedicated in Winchester
A public dedication ceremony for an Indiana state historical marker is scheduled for Sunday, October 17, 2010. The state historical marker commemorating the significant contributions of the Religious Society of Friends to the settlement and growth of Randolph County and the state of Indiana will be dedicated at 6:00 P.M. (EDT) at the Winchester Friends Church, 124 W. Washington Street in Winchester, Indiana.
The text follows for the state marker entitled "Randolph County Quakers":
When this meeting house was dedicated 1898, membership in Quarterly Meeting of Friends at Winchester was largest in the world. Migration of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) into this area began 1814 with the arrival of families from southern states seeking good farm land; population grew and significantly influenced development of the county. Men and women participated in humanitarian and social reforms including temperance, woman suffrage, and education for American Indians and blacks. Area Quakers protested slavery and assisted nearby black settlements; county was one of only four that voted against adoption of Article XIII, 1851 Indiana Constitution, prohibiting blacks from entering the state.
The public is invited to attend the dedication ceremony for this Indiana historical marker. Comments and refreshments will follow the dedication of the marker.
State historical markers commemorate significant individuals, organizations, places, and events in Indiana history. These markers help communities throughout the state promote, preserve, and present their history for the education and enjoyment of residents and tourists of all ages. For more than 90 years the Indiana Historical Bureau, an agency of the State of Indiana, has been marking Indiana history. Since 1947, the marker format has been the large roadside marker, which has the familiar dark blue background with gold lettering and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top. There are approximately 500 of these markers across the state.
For more information about this marker, the Indiana Historical Marker Program, and other resources about Indiana, visit the Indiana Historical Bureau's website at www.IN.gov/history or call 317-232-6276. For more information about the dedication ceremony, contact Pam Ferguson, 765-584-8276.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: