"Lincoln & Dixie Highways" Commemorated with Indiana State Historical Marker in South Bend
Before state and federal highway programs existed, America's roads left much to be desired: many roads were dirt or gravel and were often impassable; there was no system for marking roads; and travel across the United States could be quite an adventure. In the early 1900s, the Lincoln and Dixie highways associations worked with local governments, organizations, and citizens along the roads to select, mark, and improve these early trans-continental routes in United States, from east to west and north to south. The Lincoln and Dixie Highways intersected in downtown South Bend, where a state historical marker will be dedicated on October 2.
The Indiana Lincoln Highway Association and the GFWC/IFC Progress Club of South Bend are holding the public dedication ceremony for this Indiana state historical marker on Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 10:00 A.M. (EDT) at the intersection of Michigan and Washington Streets in South Bend.
The text follows for the state historical marker entitled "Lincoln & Dixie Highways":
Lincoln Highway Association, formed 1913, promoted and procured a route from New York to California. Dixie Highway Association, formed 1915, worked similarly for Canada to Florida routes. Highways intersected here and demonstrated the success of private organizations, individuals, and local governments in advancing goals of the Good Roads Movement. In 1880s, popularity of the bicycle increased public demand for improvement of roads, still built and maintained by local governments and residents. Transportation of agricultural products, free federal rural mail delivery, and mass production of automobiles increased demand for concrete roads; resulted in state and federal highway programs by 1920s.
State historical markers commemorate significant individuals, organizations, places, and events in Indiana history. These markers help communities throughout the state promote, preserve, and present their history for the education and enjoyment of residents and tourists of all ages. For more than 95 years the Indiana Historical Bureau, an agency of the State of Indiana, has been marking Indiana history. Since 1947, the marker format has been the large roadside marker, which has the familiar dark blue background with gold lettering and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top. There are approximately 500 of these markers across the state.
For more information about this marker, the Indiana Historical Marker Program, and other resources about Indiana, visit the Indiana Historical Bureau's website at www.IN.gov/history or call 317-232-6276. For more information about the dedication ceremony and program, contact Joyce Chambers, 574-272-5374.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: