Applicants seeking licensure as a mental health counselor (LMHC) in the State of Indiana need to download the following documents:
You will need Adobe Reader to open these documents. Download a free copy at http://www.adobe.com/.
LMHC Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the Indiana Board consider the NCE exam as equivalent?
- No, all applicant must take and pass the NCMHCE exam in order to be considered eligible for a license.
- Can I use my hours of post-graduate experience and supervision towards my internship, advanced internship, and practicum hours requirement?
- No, you must be able to point to the graduate courses on your transcript where you were able to complete the 1000 pre-degree hours.
- My school did not have an advanced internship, am I still eligible for licensure?
- Yes, as long as the internship and practicum you took allowed you to gain 1000 hours. If they did not, you will have to re-enroll in a graduate counseling program in order to obtain the additional hours you need.
- Does the Board accept degrees from on-line universities?
- Yes, as long as the degree is from an approved program and you have met the coursework requirement.
- How do I register for the NCMHCE?
- You must first submit your application to the Board for approval. Once your application is approved, you will receive additional documentation from the Board on how to register for the Exam.
- How often is the NCMHCE offered?
- The exam is offered the first week of every month.
- Does the board offer a temporary permit?
- Yes, the Board offers a non-renewable temporary permit. The permit expires the earlier of 180 days or until you pass or fail the exam.
- When will I receive my temporary license?
- Once your application is officially approved by the Board.
- I am not sure if I have the right coursework, will the board review my transcript if I send it in?
- No, however, you can submit an official application with a letter requesting that your courses be reviewed at the next available board meeting.
- I have completed my 3000 hour post-degree hour requirement, am I eligible to apply for my license?
- It depends, if you have also completed at least 21 months of supervision and experience then you will be able to qualify for license. However, if you have completed your hours in less than 21 months, you will need to wait until you have at least 21 months of supervision and experience.
- Who is considered a qualified supervisor?
- You supervision can be provided by a licensed mental health counselor, a licensed or certified master’s or doctoral level psychiatrist, psychologist, clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist, or clinical nurse specialist in psychiatric or mental health nursing.
- How do I purchase a study guide for the exam?
- For information regarding study guides please visit the following websites:
i. LMHC – http://www.nbcc.org/