For Licensed Clinical Social Workers:
If you graduate after July 1, 2009,
you will be required to obtain a social work license (LSW)
before you begin the supervision and experience requirement
necessary for licensure as a clinical social worker.
Applicants seeking licensure as a clinical social worker
will need two (2) years post-degree full-time work experience and
supervision prior to applying for licensure as a clinical social worker (LCSW).
Applicants seeking licensure as a clinical social worker (LCSW) in the State of Indiana
need to download the following documents:
***You will need Adobe Reader to open these documents. Download a free copy at http://www.adobe.com/.***
LCSW Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I become a school social worker?
a. You will need to contact the Division of Professional Standards located within the Department of Education. There website is located at http://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/about-office-educator-licensing-and-development.
- How do I become a licensed clinical social worker?
- You will need to download the LCSW application and instructions above.
- How much is the application fee?
- The application fee is $50
- Do you have temporary permits?
- Yes. Temporary permit are issued after your application is approved for the exam or after the Board receives verification that you hold a license in another state.
- How long are temporary permit valid?
- Temporary licenses are valid for 180 days or until the Board receives notification that you have passed or failed the exam.
- Are temporary permit renewable?
- No, but you can re-apply for a temporary permit a maximum of three (3) times. You can only re-apply for a temporary permit after exam attempts.
- I am finished with my course requirements and have graduated however my transcript will not show my degree until a later date, what should I do?
- You will need to wait until your degree is conferred on your transcript.
- Can I submit a transcript that I received in the mail from my school with my application?
- No, you must request that your school mail the transcript to our office. We will not accept transcripts that do not come directly from the school.
- Can I hand deliver my application to your agency?
- Yes. However, your supervision forms and transcripts must be in sealed envelopes.
- Does my supervisor have to be a licensed clinical social worker?
- Yes, if you are applying for a LCSW your supervision must have been performed by a LCSW, unless your supervision began prior to November 1, 2003.
- I am in the middle of my supervision and have decided to change jobs, should I have my current supervisor fill out a supervision form now?
- Yes, have your supervisor fill out the form and place it a sealed envelope and keep it in a safe place until you are ready to apply for your license?
- What do I do if I cannot locate my supervisor or my supervisor is deceased?
- You will need to fill out the supervision form to the best of your ability and attach a notarized statement explaining the reasons that you are unable to locate your supervisor.
- After I am approved to take the exam, how long does the Board hold my application?
- One (1) year.
- Does the Board give exam extensions?
- I failed my licensure exam, how long do I have to wait to re-take it?
- 90 days
- How do I purchase a study guide for the exam?
- For information regarding study guides please visit the following website:
i. LCSW – http://www.aswb.org/
- Is a degree in social work required?
- Yes. In order to become a LCSW in the State of Indiana you must have a MSW from a CSWE approved university.
- How do I find out if a university is CSWE approved?
- You can visit the CSWE website located at http://www.cswe.org/.