Applicants seeking licensure as a social worker (LSW) in the State of Indiana need to download the following documents:
***You will need Adobe Reader to open these documents. Download a free copy at www.adobe.com.***
LSW Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I become a school social worker?
a. You will need to contact the Division of Professional Standards located within the Department of Education. Their website is located at www.doe.in.gov.
- How do I become a licensed social worker?
- You will need to download the LSW application and instructions above.
- How much is the application fee?
- The application fee is $50
- Do you have temporary licenses?
- Yes. Temporary licenses are issued after your application is approved for the exam or after the Board receives verification that you hold a license in another state.
- How long are temporary licenses valid?
- Temporary licenses are valid for 180 days or until the Board receives notification that you have passed or failed the exam.
- Are temporary licenses renewable?
- No. You must either pass the licensure examination or resubmit a repeat application after failing the examination. You may be issued a temporary license a maximum of three (3) times.
- I am finished with my course requirements and have graduated however my transcript will not show my degree until a later date, what should I do?
- You will need to wait until your degree is conferred on your transcript.
- Can I submit a transcript that I received in the mail from my school with my application?
- No, you must request that your school mail the transcript directly to our office.
- Can I hand deliver my application to your agency?
- Yes. However, your supervision forms and transcripts must be in sealed envelopes.
- Does my supervisor have to be a licensed social worker or clinical social worker?
- Yes, if you are applying for a LSW with a bachelor’s degree your supervision must have been performed by a LSW or LCSW.
- I am in the middle of my supervision and have decided to change jobs, should I have my current supervisor fill out a supervision form now?
- Yes, have your supervisor fill out the form and place it a sealed envelope and keep it in a safe place until you are ready to apply for your license?
- What do I do if I cannot locate my supervisor or my supervisor is deceased?
- You will need to fill out the supervision form to the best of your ability and attach a notarized statement explaining the reasons that you are unable to locate your supervisor.
- After I am approved to take the exam, how long does the Board hold my application?
- One (1) year.
- Does the Board give exam extensions?
- I failed my licensure exam, how long do I have to wait to re-take it?
- 90 days
- How do I purchase a study guide for the exam?
- For information regarding study guides please visit the following website:
i. LSW – www.aswb.org
- Is a degree in social work required?
- Yes. In order to become a LSW in the State of Indiana you must have a BSW or a MSW from a CSWE approved university.
- How do I find out if a university is CSWE approved?
- You can visit the CSWE website located at www.cswe.org.