- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Professional Licensing Agency

PLA > Professions > Behavioral Health and Human Services Licensing Board > LSW Application Information and Instructions LSW Application Information and Instructions

Applicants seeking licensure as a social worker (LSW) in the State of Indiana need to download the following documents:

***You will need Adobe Reader to open these documents.  Download a free copy at***


LSW Frequently Asked Questions


  1. How do I become a school social worker?

a.       You will need to contact the Division of Professional Standards located within the Department of Education.  Their website is located at

  1. How do I become a licensed social worker?
    1. You will need to download the LSW application and instructions above.
  2. How much is the application fee?
    1. The application fee is $50
  3. Do you have temporary licenses?
    1. Yes. Temporary licenses are issued after your application is approved for the exam or after the Board receives verification that you hold a license in another state.
  4. How long are temporary licenses valid?
    1. Temporary licenses are valid for 180 days or until the Board receives notification that you have passed or failed the exam.
  5. Are temporary licenses renewable?
    1. No. You must either pass the licensure examination or resubmit a repeat application after failing the examination. You may be issued a temporary license a maximum of three (3) times.
  6. I am finished with my course requirements and have graduated however my transcript will not show my degree until a later date, what should I do?
    1. You will need to wait until your degree is conferred on your transcript.
  7. Can I submit a transcript that I received in the mail from my school with my application?
    1.  No, you must request that your school mail the transcript directly to our office.
  8. Can I hand deliver my application to your agency?
    1. Yes.  However, your supervision forms and transcripts must be in sealed envelopes.
  9. Does my supervisor have to be a licensed social worker or clinical social worker?
    1. Yes, if you are applying for a LSW with a bachelor’s degree your supervision must have been performed by a LSW or LCSW. 
  10. I am in the middle of my supervision and have decided to change jobs, should I have my current supervisor fill out a supervision form now?
    1. Yes, have your supervisor fill out the form and place it a sealed envelope and keep it in a safe place until you are ready to apply for your license?
  11. What do I do if I cannot locate my supervisor or my supervisor is deceased?
    1. You will need to fill out the supervision form to the best of your ability and attach a notarized statement explaining the reasons that you are unable to locate your supervisor.
  12. After I am approved to take the exam, how long does the Board hold my application?
    1. One (1) year.
  13. Does the Board give exam extensions?
    1. No.
  14. I failed my licensure exam, how long do I have to wait to re-take it?
    1. 90 days
  15. How do I purchase a study guide for the exam?
    1. For information regarding study guides please visit the following website:

                                                               i.      LSW –

  1. Is a degree in social work required?
    1. Yes.  In order to become a LSW in the State of Indiana you must have a BSW or a MSW from a CSWE approved university.
  2. How do I find out if a university is CSWE approved?
    1. You can visit the CSWE website located at