IN.gov - Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor

OUCC > Electric > Cases of Note > NIPSCO Electric Rates NIPSCO Electric Rates

Subscribe for e-mail updates

In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, Northern Indiana Public Service Co. (NIPSCO) ranked second-highest among the 14 electric utilities under the IURC’s jurisdiction.

As of July 2013, approximately 91 percent of a typical NIPSCO residential customer’s electric bill paid the base rate (which traditionally covers most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs), with the remaining 9 percent recovered through rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below. *

Base Rates

Northern Indiana Public Service Company's (NIPSCO's) current electric base rates were approved on December 21, 2011.

To review the IURC's 114-page order in PDF format, please click here.

For more information:

All publicly filed documents in NIPSCO's most recent electric base rate case are available by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering docket number 43969.

Issues from NIPSCO's 2008 rate case (Cause No. 43526) were resolved under the agreement approved in the Commission's 2011 order. These OUCC news releases from the earlier case offer additional information:

  • Announcing July 15, 2009 field hearing in Michigan City (7-7-09)

  • OUCC testimony (5-8-09)

  • Inviting public comments & announcing March 3, 2009 field hearing in Gary (2-20-09)

Electric Transmission, Distribution and Storage System Improvement Plan

In cases initiated under a new Indiana law, NIPSCO has received approval of a 7-year plan for infrastructure improvements, along with incremental rate increases as the projects proceed. Project costs in the plan total about $1.07 billion. To learn more about these cases, please click here

Other Recent & Pending Cases of Note:

Trackers

In addition to base rates, NIPSCO and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a quarterly or semi-annual basis.

NIPSCO uses the following trackers:

Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No.
Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38706
Environmental Cost Recovery (ECR) Emissions control equipment (including operations & maintenance)  Semi-Annual 42150
Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Semi-Annual 43618
Resource Adequacy Adjustment (RA) Capacity resources needed for system reliability Semi-Annual 44155
Regional Transmission Operator (RTO) Participation in Midcontinent Independent Transmission System Operator (MISO)  Semi-Annual 44156

All publicly filed documents in tracker cases can be reviewed by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering the appropriate docket number.

* Rankings and examples refer to monthly usage of 1,000 kWh in the IURC’s 2013 Residential Bill Survey, based on July 1, 2013 billings.

4-4-14