Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, Duke Energy ranked third-highest among the 14 electric utilities under the IURC’s jurisdiction.
Approximately 61 percent of a typical Duke Energy residential customer’s bill pays the base rate (which traditionally covers most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs) with the remaining 39 percent being recovered through rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below. *
Duke Energy Indiana's current electric base rates were approved on May 18, 2004.
Publicly filed documents in the rate case are available by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering docket number 42359.
In addition to base rates, Duke Energy and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.
Duke Energy uses the following trackers:
Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No. Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38707 Environmental Cost Recovery (ECR) Emissions control equipment (including operations & maintenance) Semi- Annual 42061 Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle (IGCC) Construction and financing for IGCC facility at Edwardsport, Ind. Semi- Annual 43114 Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Annual 43079 Summer Reliability (Rider 70) Capacity resources needed for system reliability Annual Varies annually Regional Transmission Operator (RTO) Participation in Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator (MISO) Quarterly 42736 Federally Mandated Cost Adjustment (FMCA) Critical Infrastructure Protection Semi-Annual 44367
All publicly filed documents in tracker cases can be reviewed by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering the appropriate docket number.
* Rankings and examples refer to monthly usage of 1,000 kWh in the IURC’s 2014 Residential Bill Survey, based on July 1, 2014 billings.