IN.gov - Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana State Library

Library > Collections > Rare Books & Manuscripts > Indianapolis through Invoices - Online Exhibit > Agricultural Companies Agricultural Companies

Dennis Egan | H. C. Fisk & Son | F. C. Huntington & Co. |
Indianapolis Veterinary Infirmary

Dennis Egan, Scientific Horse Shoer

Dennis Egan, Scientific Horse Shoer, was born in Tipperary, Ireland. At age 10 he came to America with his parents. After spending some time in Connecticut he moved to Indianapolis where he opened a horse shoeing business at 212 North Delaware. He operated his business there for more than 30 years. His obituary proclaimed the site as one of the city's landmarks.

Blacksmiths not only shod horses, but they also set wagon and buggy tires, sharpened plow points, picks and other tools. There was a time when every town in Indiana had at least one blacksmith. However, the increased use of automobiles and new alloys diminish the need for blacksmiths. The blacksmith shops were not the only businesses hurt as the horse and buggy was replaced by the automobile and other technological advances. The wagon and harness maker lost business, as well.

  • Indianapolis Star, August 30, 1948. p. 10 c3.
  • Indianapolis Star Magazine, June 22, 1958. p. 26.
  • Indiana Biography Series, v.4 p 76.
 

H. C. Fisk and Son

Located on the circle in downtown Indianapolis was the headquarters for H. C. Fisk & Son, makers of vehicles, harnesses and horse goods. Fisk established the business circa 1870, and it was a success from the beginning. His company was nationally known for its high quality merchandise, as well as for the facility. The company provided the latest style and improvements in their merchandise. They sold a complete line of all pleasure and light business vehicles, buggies from the Columbus Buggy Company, wagons, and carriages. They also carried the largest line of fancy open wagons, carts, in the state. Six and eight seat party wagons were manufactured on the premises.

In the corner of the invoice is a drawing of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. It is interesting that the monument was included. The date on the invoice is 1897. The monument's cornerstone was laid in 1889, but the construction was not complete and the monument was not dedicated until 1902.

  • Indianapolis Illustrated: The Capital City of Indianapolis. Indianapolis: Consolidated Publishing, 1893.
 

F. C. Huntington and Company

In 1880 J. F. Mendenhal founded what was later known as F. C. Huntington & Co. at 78-80 East Market Street. F. C. and J. T. Huntington purchased the business in 1886. F. C. Huntington & Co. offered a vast amount of garden, farm, and flower seeds, as well as bulbs, plants and high grade fertilizers. They also sold a variety of other items like greenhouse implements, farm tools, horse food, etc.

They claimed their seeds were fresh, free from impurities, and were warranted to "produce heavily and give entire satisfaction." Each year they brought out new varieties of vegetables. They were also direct importers of seeds from Holland, Germany, France and Spain, in addition to rare bulbs. Each year a member of the company went to Europe to select supplies. The business did so well, that it had to be moved into a two story building with a basement at 66 East Washington Street in 1893. F. C. Huntington and Co. were considered the leading seed warehouse in the United States at one point.

  • Indianapolis Illustrated: The Capital City of Indianapolis. Indianapolis: Consolidated Publishing, 1893.

 

Indiana Veterinary Infirmary

The Infirmary was founded in 1881 by L. A. Greiner, a leading veterinarian in Indianapolis. Dr. Greiner was from Strasbourg, Germany and came to the United States in 1866. He attended the Philadelphia College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1874 and graduated from the Indiana College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1894. Dr. Greiner was also secretary of the Indiana Veterinary College.

The Indiana Veterinary Infirmary occupied a spacious building at 18 - 24 South East Street, and was one of the most thoroughly equipped establishments of its kind in Indiana. The institution treated horses, dogs, sheep, cattle and other animals.