Indiana Supreme Court
Division of State Court Administration
30 S. Meridian Street, Ste. 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Program Administrative Assistant
Interpreter candidates working towards certification should be aware of the following administrative guidelines:
1. The Indiana Supreme Court Interpreter Certification program is not a training program from interpreters. Individuals seeking certification should already have had training and experience in interpretation.
2. The Indiana Supreme Court Interpreter Certification Program is a 6-part program that must be completed in its entirety (with the exception of candidates who are granted reciprocity) in order for an interpreter to be deemed certified. A candidate must complete the two-day orientation workshop before he or she can take the written exam. Upon passing the written exam, the candidate must attend a two-day skills building workshop before he or she will be eligible to sit for the oral exam. Upon passing the oral exam, the candidate must successfully complete a criminal background check and must agree to uphold the standards in the Indiana Supreme Court Interpreter Code of Conduct and Procedure. A candidate is not eligible to particpate in Indiana Supreme Cout Interpreter Certification Program if they have been have been disciplined by the Indiana Supreme Court or any of its programs or agencies. A candidate is not eligible to participate in the Indiana Supreme Court Interpreter Certification Program is they have been disciplined by any other state's Supreme Court or any of its programs or agencies.
3. The registration fee for orientation is $75. (non-Indiana residents is $150), this fee also covers the cost of the written exam. The registration fee for skills building also is $75, (non-Indiana residents $150.00), this includes the fee for the oral exam. Please submit your registration form to the Division of State Court Administration at 30 South Meridian Street, Suite 500, Indianapolis, IN 46204. Your check or money order will be collected the day of the session that you are attending. Our office does not accept cash payments. No candidate will be admitted into a class or an exam without first receiving payment.
4. Once a candidate completes the orientation and takes written exam, the candidate has two (2) years to complete the remaining requirments for certification. If the candidate fails to complete the remaining requirements within two (2) years, they must restart the process, however will not be required to take the written exam again if they initially passed it.
5. Once a candidate has completed the skills building workshop, the candidate has two (2) years to complete the remaining requirements for certification. If the candidate fails to complete the program requirements within two (2) years, he or she will have to retake the skills building workshop.
6. If a candidate passes one or two sections of the oral exam but fails to pass the entire exam in one sitting, the candidate may sign up to take the oral exam the next time it is offered. At that time, the candidate only will be required to retake the portions that the candidate did not pass. The candidate must pass all portions of the oral exam within two (2) years of when he or she takes skills building. If the candidate does not pass the oral examination within that timeframe, the candidate will be required to retake skills building before sitting for the oral examination again.
7. There is no fee associated with taking the written exam or the oral exam the first time as long as the candidate takes the exam at the next testing session. For individuals retaking the written exam there is a fee of $25. For individuals who are retaking the oral exam, there is a fee of $30 for each section for which the candidate is retesting (thus, a maximum of $90 if retaking the entire oral exam).
8. A $25 fee will be assessed for all returned checks.
9. A candidate who wishes to cancel a scheduled oral exam should contact the Division of State Court Administration at 317-234-3542 at least one week prior to the exam date in order to avoid paying administrative fees.
10. Candidates admitted to the program who are seeking certification in Spanish are permitted to borrow ACEBO products from the Division of State Court Administration in order to prepare for the oral exam, but these materials must be returned the week of the next session of oral exams. Candidates may be charged for lost or damaged materials. If materials are not returned at the appropriate time without explanation, the Division of State Court Administration will assume that the materials are lost.
11. A candidate should notify the Division of State Court Administration if there is a change in address, name, or other personal information. This will ensure that the candidate continues to receive important updates. All changes to interpreter contact information need to be submitted in writing by letter to Angela Joseph at 30 South Meridian Street, Suite 500, Indianapolis, IN 46204 or by email at email@example.com
12. If an interpreter candidate would like to meet with a staff member for the program, please call and schedule an appointment before visiting. Making an appointment will ensure that a staff member is available to assist you during your visit.
13. Oral exams are graded by two certified raters who are certified through the National Center for State Courts. Every effort is made to grade exams accurately and thoroughly, and failing scores that are close to passing (within a few points) are double checked by graders. Accordingly, re-grading of exams is discouraged. From time to time, however, candidates seek to have an oral exam re-graded. Please be advised that an interpreter candidate may seek a re-grade of an oral exam only if the exam score is within 5 points of a passing score. Also, please be advised that the interpreter candidate will be required to pay all expenses associated with the re-grade. 12. If there are additional questions about these administrative policies or about the program in general, please contact Angela Joseph, at 317-234-3935 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.