Report on the Marion County Small Claims Courts
In January 2012, the Indiana Supreme Court created the Marion County Small Claims Courts Task Force to investigate whether litigants in those courts are denied access to justice that is provided to small claims litigants in Indiana's other 91 counties and whether the township trustees exert control over the courts' financial and personnel matters in a manner that threatens judicial independence.
The documents below outline the results of the Task Force's investigation: findings of fact describing serious problems in the management and procedures of the Marion County Small Claims Courts and recommendations to remedy these problems.
- National Center for State Courts Report
- Supreme Court Recommendations for Reform
- Report on the Marion County Small Claims Courts
- Appendix, part 1 [pp. 1-274, Press Releases and Public Hearing Transcripts]
- Appendix, part 2 [pp. 275-351, Letters and Emails]
- Appendix, part 3 [pp. 352-453, Statistics and Reports]
Related Press Releases
- National group recommends changes to Marion County Small Claims Courts [September 2, 2014]
- Supreme Court Creates Task Force to Evaluate Marion County Small Claims Courts [February 14, 2012]
- Three Public Hearings Scheduled to Review Marion County Small Claims Courts [February 20, 2012]
- Task Force Releases Findings On Marion County Small Claims Courts [May 1, 2012]
October 12, 2012. In partnership with the Indiana Bar Foundation, the Indiana Supreme Court and the Marion County Circuit Court have produced a set of videos designed to inform litigants of their rights and responsibilities in small claims court proceedings. A statewide version and a version specific to Marion County small claims are both available at http://courts.in.gov/3966.htm.