Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
The ISP salary is competitive with surrounding state police agencies. During academy training, recruits receive $1,417.40 bi-weekly as a Trooper Trainee. At the completion of academy training, the starting annual salary is $38,444.00 as a Probationary Trooper. ISP also offers an excellent health care plan, which includes medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along with their families. After 25 years of service, the ISP pension program provides a lifetime benefit. Additionally, the Department provides comprehensive disability coverage and a life insurance program.
Sworn Matrix - Effective 07-2008
• Police employees earn 12 vacation days annually. Additional vacation days are granted after 5, 10 and 20 years of service to a maximum of 25.
• Uniform, ordinance, automotive and other equipment is furnished by the Indiana State Police Department.
• Group individual or family medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents.
• The State of Indiana provides $14,500.00 life insurance with an additional accidental death benefit of $149,000.00. Supplemental life insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents at nominal rates.
• A pension plan that incorporates a voluntary Deferred Retirement Option Program (D.R.O.P.) and a Partial Lump Sum Option (P.L.S.O.) retirement benefit program.
• Troopers may purchase years of service credit for eligible prior military service, Indiana municipal police officer service, Indiana sheriff or other Indiana county police officer service, Indiana State Excise police officer or Indiana Conservation Enforcement officer service. The purchased service credit counts toward the calculation of retirement pension benefits, not toward years of service.