Commercial motor vehicles transporting hazardous material in Indiana are routinely inspected for compliance with the Hazardous Material Regulations contained in CFR 49, Parts 107, 171 through 178 and 180.
This would include but are not limited to:
- Shipping paper requirements
- Marking of packages
- Correct specification packaging
- Cargo securement
- Package integrity (leaking product)
- Load compatibility
- All Safety requirements of the FMCSR
Violations identified using the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) standards could require a vehicle be placed out of service until the defects are corrected.
Some examples are:
- Shipping paper not indicating hazardous materials.
- 50 percent or more of placarding missing.
- Package integrity
- Blocking and bracing of certain Classes/Divisions materials
Further information may be obtained by contacting:
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- Research and Special Programs Administration
- Office of Hazardous Materials Safety
- Washington, DC 20590
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- 400 Seventh Street SW
- Washington,DC 20590
- Phone: (202) 366-2519
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
- 5430 Grosvenor Lane, Suite 130
- Bethesda, MD 20814
- Phone: (301) 564-1623
- Fax: (301) 564-0588