Application for Wild Mushroom Identifer
Mushroom Identification Experts
Mushroom Identification Expert Approval Letters
- Clay Higginbotham
- Sean Breedem-Ost
- Stephen Russell
- Eric Osborne
- Thomas T. Nauman Morel Mushroom Identifier
- Robert Townsend
- Brian Hunt
- Adam Constable
- David "Chris" Christensen
- Joshua Boucher
- Jason Paris
- Beth Nolte
- Tracy Branam
- Travis Brown
- Kevin Ward
Regulations on Wild Mushroom Sales
410 IAC 7-24-164 (a) Wild Mushrooms
Sec. 164. (a) Except as specified in subsection (b), mushroom species picked in the wild shall be
obtained from sources where each mushroom is individually inspected and found to be safe by a
mushroom identification expert.
(b) This section does not apply to the following:
(1) Cultivated wild mushroom species that are grown, harvested, and processed in an operation
that is regulated by the food regulatory agency that has jurisdiction over the operation.
(2) Wild mushroom species if they are in a packaged form and are the product of a food processing
plant that is regulated by the food regulatory agency that has jurisdiction over the plant.
(c) For purposes of this section, a violation of subsection (a) or (b) is a critical item. (Indiana State
Department of Health; 410 IAC 7-24-164; filed Oct 13, 2004, 12:30 p.m.: 28 IR 851; readopted filed Jul 15,
2010, 12:12 p.m.: 20100728-IR-410100261RFA; readopted filed Nov 10,2016, 8:45 a.m.: 20161207-IR-
Tips for the Wild Mushroom Buyer
- Buy wild-picked mushrooms from an individual who can demonstrate their standing as an approved
mushroom identification expert or if purchased from a vendor ask for proof that the mushrooms have been inspected and found to be safe by an approved mushroom identification expert.
Any questions call 317-234-8569.
Tips for the Wild Mushroom Consumer
- Mushroom poisoning may result in illness or death. Even safe mushrooms can cause allergies reactions in some people.
- It is always best to eat a moderate amount of wild mushrooms and to avoid eating them raw because they are hard to digest. Eat only firm, fresh mushrooms.
Notify your doctor immediately if you suspect mushroom poisoning of any kind.
Poison Help: 1-800-222-1222