Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
What is the HIV Prevention Counseling Training Course?
The HIV Prevention Counseling Course is a skills-based course for individuals working or volunteering as an HIV Prevention Counselor. Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency and organization. Course curriculum includes:
- Development of capacity to implement all stages of pre- and post- test counseling, testing, partner and referral services.
- Develop knowledge and skills to engage clients in behavior change models to reduce client risks of acquiring or transmitting HIV, STD and/or Hepatitis.
- Increase awareness and utilization of policies and procedures pertaining to HIV.
*This course does not include venipuncture.
Who May Attend?Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency or organization.
How Do I Apply?To register for this training, review and complete SF 53760 HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course Registration form. For more information, call the HIV Prevention Training Manager at 317-233-7051.
What are the Requirements to Become Certified?The HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course is a 4-day skills based training for those persons who will provide HIV prevention counseling, testing, referral, and partner elicitation services. Individuals must meet all pre-requisites and class requirements to become fully certified. Those requirements include the following.
- Pass the HIV Proficiency Test given on first day of Course.Course Requirements:
- Attend the entire course.
- Actively participate and demonstrate skills learned during the course
- Successfully complete the skills and assessment phase for Pre-certification.
Post Course Requirements:
- Complete 5 monitored counseling sessions within 1 month of course completion.
- Witness or give at least one positive HIV test result and appropriate referrals.
- Submit documentation of monitored counseling sessions to the Division of HIV/STD/Viral Hepatitis for full certification.
What Else Should I KnowThere is no charge for the course. Travel and other expenses are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or participant.
2016 Training Date and Registration Deadline is as follows:
March 29 - April 1
April 26 - 29
May 24 - 27