Training - HIV Prevention/Services Training
What is the HIV Prevention Counseling Training Course?
The HIV Prevention Counseling Course is a skills-based course for individuals working or volunteering as an HIV Prevention Counselor. Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency and organization. Course curriculum includes:
- Development of capacity to implement all stages of pre- and post- test counseling, testing, partner and referral services.
- Develop knowledge and skills to engage clients in behavior change models to reduce client risks of acquiring or transmitting HIV, STD and/or Hepatitis.
- Increase awareness and utilization of policies and procedures pertaining to HIV.
- Participants must have knowledge of venipuncture techniques. Training soon to include phlebotomy
Who May Attend?
Participants must be sponsored by a directly state-funded counseling and testing site or other state recognized agency or organization.
When is the Next Training Opportunity?
There are tester training courses held at least once per quarter. The dates for 2019 are listed below. If you have a training need that arises outside of the scheduled dates please reach out to Mary Roberts directly.
2019 Scheduled Tester Training Dates:
January 16, 2019
April 17, 2019
July 17, 2019
October 16, 2019
December 18, 2019
How Do I Apply?
To register for this training, review and complete:
HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course Registration.
Email or fax the form to:
HIV Prevention/Services Training Assistant
What are the Requirements to Become Certified?
The HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course is a skills based training for those persons who will provide HIV prevention counseling, testing, referral, and partner elicitation services. Individuals must meet all pre-requisites and class requirements to become fully certified. Those requirements include the following.
- Pass the HIV Proficiency Test given on first day of Course.
- Complete HIV 101 Training Class or online HIV 101 Training.
- Attend the entire course.
- Actively participate and demonstrate skills learned during the course
- Successfully complete the skills and assessment phase for Pre-certification.
Post Course Requirements:
- Complete 5 monitored counseling sessions within one month of course completion.
- Submit documentation of monitored counseling sessions to the Division of HIV/STD/Viral Hepatitis for full certification.
What Else Should I Know?
There is no charge for the course. Travel and other expenses are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or participant.