Below you will find a variety of organizations and programs that each serve cancer patients and their families. We hope that the information and services they provide will aid you in understanding, preventing, and treating breast or cervical cancer.
- American Cancer Society | http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp | Information for cancer patients, families, caregivers, and providers in addition to fundraising efforts for cancer research.
- BRAC Analysis | http://www.bracnow.com/ | Information about the BRAC gene, which has been linked to some breast and ovarian cancers, and the test that can be used to detect it.
- Cancer Care | http://www.cancercare.org/ | Provides education, support, counseling, and financial assistance to physicians, cancer patients, and their families.
- Cancer Control PLANET | http://cancercontrolplanet.cancer.gov/ | Cancer prevention resources for providers.
- Comfort Food | http://comfortingfamilies.org/ | Provides meals for families of patients currently undergoing treatment. Located in central Indiana.
- Indiana State Department of Health Family Helpline | 1-800-433-0746 (voice) or 1-866-275-1274 (TTY/TDD) | The Helpline is a state-wide, toll free number established to promote maternal, child, and other health services in Indiana. Information and referrals are available to medical, dental, educational, and support services. Bilingual services are available.
- Little Red Door Cancer Agency | http://www.littlereddoor.org/ | Provides screening, education, and support to local patients who are uninsured or underinsured. Located in and limited to central Indiana.
- Look Good… Feel Better | http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/ | Offers beauty and body care information to help cancer patients to maintain their self-esteem during treatment.
- Medline Plus Interactive Health Tutorials | http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorial.html | Online tutorials on a variety of diseases and treatments.
- National Asian Women’s Health Organization | http://www.nawho.org/site/c.ipILKTOCJsG/b.4089873/k.7F6D/NAWHO_Home_page.htm | Raises awareness of Asian American health needs and works to strengthen the services in place to meet those needs.
- National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NCCEDP) | http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/index.htm | Partners with state, territorial, and tribal organizations to provide screenings to underserved and underinsured women.
- National Cancer Institute | http://www.cancer.gov/ | Information about cancers, treatments, clinical trials, and news in the field of oncology.
- St. Vincent Women’s Health Hotline | 317-338-4-HER or http://3384her.com/ | 24-hour answers to questions about women’s health.
- The Wellness Community Cancer Support Community | http://www.twc-indy.org/index.htm | Education, support groups, and mind-body classes for cancer patients and their families. Located in central Indiana.
- Women’s Cancer Network | http://www.wcn.org/ | Education about gynecologic cancers, treatment, clinical trials, and risk factors.
Breast Cancer-Specific Resources
- Avon Foundation for Women | http://www.avonfoundation.org/breast-cancer-crusade/ | Provides financial grants to breast cancer treatment, research, education, and awareness groups.
- Breast Cancer at About.com | http://www.breastcancer.about.com/ | News articles, blogs, and educational information about breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Fund | http://www.breastcancerfund.org/ | Works to prevent cancer through research and elimination of environmental causes of breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Network of Strength (formerly the Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization) | http://www.networkofstrength.org/ | Provides information, support, and programming for breast cancer patients and family.
- Casting for Recovery | http://www.castingforrecovery.org/ | Organizes retreats for breast cancer patients and survivors.
- Catherine Peachey Breast Cancer Prevention Program | http://www.cancer.iu.edu/programs/breast/c_peachey.php | Genetic counseling and prevention services for women at high risk for breast cancer. Part of the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center.
- Indiana Women in Need | http://www.iwinfoundation.org/ | Provides emotional support and help with everyday tasks for women with breast cancer.
- Making Memories | http://www.makingmemories.org/ | Funds wish-granting and memory-making events for breast cancer patients.
- Men Against Breast Cancer | http://www.menagainstbreastcancer.org/ | Education and support for men when a female loved one has cancer.
- National Breast Cancer Coalition | http://www.stopbreastcancer.org/ | Advocate for breast cancer research in government policy at national, state, and local levels.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. | http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/ | Raises breast cancer awareness and provides support to patients and survivors.
- Pink Ribbon Connection | http://www.pinkribbonconnection.org/index.html | Information, education, and networking for breast cancer patients and their families. Located in central Indiana.
- Sharon L. Bassett Foundation | http://www.sharonbassett.org/default/index.php | Provides financial and in-home support for breast cancer patients and their families. Limited to Indiana and Illinois.
- Sisters Network | http://www.sistersnetworkinc.org/ | An education, support, and awareness organization for African American breast cancer patients.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure | http://ww5.komen.org/ | Provides information about breast cancer and sponsors fundraising events for breast cancer research.
- Young Survival Coalition | http://www.youngsurvival.org/ | Dedicated to improving the care and quality of life of younger breast cancer patients.
Cervical Cancer-Specific Resources
Updated July 2010.