How to Become an Authorized Yellow Fever Vaccine Provider in the State of Indiana
Announcement: Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-Vax) licensed in the United States, has announced that YF-Vax will be unavailable from mid-2017 to mid-2018 because of delays in the production process. Sanofi Pasteur applied and received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make another yellow fever vaccine available in the United States under an investigational new drug (IND) program. Manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur in France, this vaccine, Stamaril, is registered and distributed in more than 70 countries. It is comparable in safety and efficacy to YF-Vax.
In order to meet the requirements of the IND program, Sanofi Pasteur can provide Stamaril to only a limited number of clinics. Sanofi has identified sites throughout the United States to include in the program so patients can have continued access to yellow fever vaccine. The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) is not involved in the selection process for clinics to join the IND program and administer Stamaril. For more information, contact Sanofi Pasteur at 1-800-VACCINE (1-800-822-2463).
Once YF-Vax is no longer available, travelers and health care providers will be able to find locations that can administer Stamaril by visiting the yellow fever vaccination clinic search page.
ISDH is suspending new applications for Authorized Yellow Fever Vaccine Providers until YF-Vax is available in mid-2018.
Information and Resources for Travel Health Care Professionals
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Travelers' Health
- CDC Yellow Book
- CDC Yellow Book - Yellow Fever, Chapter 3
- CDC Travelers' Health - Clinician Information Center
- Vaccine Information Statements (including Yellow Fever)
- Yellow Fever Vaccine Package Insert
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)
- Health Professionals Education:
- International Health Regulations:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis Booklet (WHO)
- Government Printing Office Bookstore (purchase ICVPs Cards)
Additional Travel Website Resources
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Immunization Action Coalition: International Travel Vaccinations
- The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- International Society of Travel Medicine
For more information on international travel, contact:
Page last updated: July 17, 2017
Page last reviewed: August 1, 2016