- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Public Retirement System

Indiana Public Retirement System

Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS) > My Fund > Teachers > 10-Year Inactive Account FAQs 10-Year Inactive Account FAQs

Q. My account is inactive. What does that mean?
A. It means that for the last 10 years, no wages and contributions have been reported for your account.

Q. Why has my account stopped earning interest?
A. Indiana law requires TRF to stop paying interest, gains and losses on any non-vested member’s (a member who does not have at least 10 years of creditable or eligible service) Annuity Savings Account (ASA) if the member is inactive for 10 or more years.
Q. What are my options for taking a distribution of my Annuity Savings Account (ASA)?
A. Your distribution options include payment directly to you, direct rollover, or a partial rollover with the balance paid to you. Log in to your TRF Interactive account to initiate a distribution. Select the “My Accounts” tab, click on “Actions,” and “Request a Final Distribution” to make your elections and have a package mailed to you. Or, if you do not have online access, call (888) 286-3544 to request a distribution of your ASA.

Q. What happens if I do not take a distribution of my Annuity Savings Account (ASA)?
A. If you do not withdraw or roll over your ASA, your ASA balance will be credited to TRF, at which time you will cease earning interest, gains and losses. You may elect to withdraw your ASA at a later date, but it is important to remember from the time the monies are credited to TRF, your account will no longer be accruing interest, gains, and losses.
Q. Is there an exception to the 10-year inactive rule?
A. If you move from a TRF-covered position to a non-TRF-covered position within the same employer, you are entitled to continue receiving interest, gains, and losses for up to 45 years.