View IDOI Laws & Bulletins Page
View IDOI Newsroom Page
- HAPPY 200 YEARS, INDIANA! Please join IDOI in celebrating the Indiana Bicentennial by downloading the IDOI Bicentennial flyer, printing it out and sharing it with your friends, colleagues, and consumers. The flyer, as well as an infographic that can be linked to your website or social media pages, is available on the IDOI website at www.in.gov/idoi/3051.htm.
- HIP LINK. The State of Indiana’s HIP Link now provides premium assistance for low-income Hoosiers eligible for their employer’s insurance plan. More information can be found here: www.in.gov/fssa/hip/2489.htm.
- August 10, 2016 - Added webpage showing licensing "retaliatory fees" charged to non-resident individuals and business entities residing in states that charge greater non-resident fees to residents of Indiana.
- August 10, 2016 - Updates to Adjusters pages for Business Entities clarifying distinctions between Independent Adjuster and Public Adjuster requirements and making other modifications.
- August 10, 2016 - Updates to IDOI Licensing Division staff contact information. Contact information may be found at the bottom of the main Licensing webpage at www.in.gov/idoi/2446.htm.
- August 1, 2016 - FFM Agent and Broker registration and training for plan year 2017 is now available. See the announcement and further guidance on the CMS website here.
- June 23, 2016 - CMS announced that plan year 2016 Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) registration and training for agents and brokers closes on July 15, 2016 at 11:59 AM ET. Information on FFM registration and training for plan year 2017 is coming soon.
- June 20, 2016 - See Bulletin 229 - "Form of Consulting Agreement for Use by Agents," and Producer Consulting FAQs.
- March 31, 2016 - Release of new license application and renewal processes and reporting requirements for Bail and Recovery Agents and Bail/Recovery Class Providers at http://in.gov/idoi/2491.htm. See the attached memo regarding the release.
- March 24, 2016 - Updates to Request for Waiver of Pre-Licensing Education Requirement
- March 8, 2016 - Updates to the ADA accommodations language under the Special Exam Considerations section at http://in.gov/idoi/2482.htm#6.
- February 25, 2016 - An updated Service Request Form and CE Extension Request Form were posted at http://in.gov/idoi/2450.htm.
- February 16, 2016 - Updates to Adjusters pages clarifying distinctions between Individual Independent Adjuster and Public Adjuster licensing requirements.
- February 15, 2016 - Updates to Producer Licensing FAQs
- February 4, 2016 - An updated "Continuing Education Exemption Form for Retired Insurance Producers and Solicitors" was posted at http://in.gov/idoi/2598.htm.
- October 30, 2015 - A new webpage was created at http://in.gov/idoi/2998.htm giving guidance on transferring a resident producer license from one state to another.
- MARKETPLACE OPEN ENROLLMENT: As a reminder, FFM/healthcare.gov plan year 2016 agent and broker registration and training is now available in English and Spanish via the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/ for Open Enrollment beginning November 1, 2015 and ending January 31, 2016. Agents and brokers must complete the annual registration process prior to assisting consumers in the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you have any questions, please visit the Agents and Brokers Resources webpage or email the FFM Producer and Assister Help Desk at FFMProducer-AssisterHelpDesk@cms.hhs.gov.
- July 10, 2015 - Release of updated Accident & Health and Life, Accident & Health exam content outlines on http://www.in.gov/idoi/2480.htm. Updates were made to the exams and exam outlines to reflect changes in the Affordable Care Act (ACA). See "Revision History" at the bottom of each outline.
- July 1, 2015 - DHS Producer License for Non-residents - Effective today, IC 27-1-15.6-8.2 provides for a non-resident DHS (Designated Home State) Producer license for non-resident individuals and business entities seeking licensure for a line of authority offered in Indiana that is not offered in their home state. See more information at: http://in.gov/idoi/2996.htm.
- January 27, 2015 - APPROVAL OF HIP 2.0. If you are a Marketplace certified insurance agent, be aware that HIP 2.0 has been approved. Information to help you with this new program can be found at the following links: www.in.gov/fssa/hip/2461.htm and http://www.hip.in.gov/.
- CLARIFICATION OF THE REQUIREMENT FOR THREE (3) HOURS OF ETHICS FOR PRODUCERS HOLDING LIFE, HEALTH, VARIABLE LIFE, AND VARIABLE ANNUITY QUALIFICAITONS.
The continuing education requirement for residents who hold licenses with life, health, variable life, and variable annuity qualifications has changed. Three (3) of the twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education must be related to ethical practices in the marketing and sale of life, health, or annuity insurance products.
For clarification, the legislative change in Indiana Code IC 27-1-15.7-2(a) is not intended to be imposed in the middle of a producer's renewal period and therefore producers will not be required to obtain the ethics requirement before they renew the next time. The ethics requirement applies to renewal periods that will start after July 2014. During this subsequent renewal period producers will need to complete this ethics requirement before the end of that renewal period.
We have not placed a specific completion date as Indiana producers are still transitioning to birth month renewals. Going forward the ethics requirement will be required as part of the twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education every renewal period. An insurance producer with qualifications in more than one line of authority will not be required to complete more than twenty-four (24) hours of credit to renew the license. IC 27-1-15.7-2(a) and (e). Producers taking three (3) hours of ethics as part of their CFP certification renewal will be compliant with this new requirement.
Continuing education providers of ethic courses should be reviewing their course content to ensure compliance with the legislative requirement. A syllabus will not be provided by the Department.
ETHICS REQUIREMENTS FAQs
- Bulletin 207 - Ethics Requirement for Producer Continuing Education (May 13, 2014)