View IDOI Laws & Bulletins Page
View IDOI Newsroom Page
- October 30, 2015 - A new webpage was created at http://in.gov/idoi/2998.htm giving guidance on transferring a resident producer license from one state to another.
- MARKETPLACE OPEN ENROLLMENT: As a reminder, FFM/healthcare.gov plan year 2016 agent and broker registration and training is now available in English and Spanish via the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/ for Open Enrollment beginning November 1, 2015 and ending January 31, 2016. Agents and brokers must complete the annual registration process prior to assisting consumers in the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you have any questions, please visit the Agents and Brokers Resources webpage or email the FFM Producer and Assister Help Desk at FFMProducer-AssisterHelpDesk@cms.hhs.gov.
- July 10, 2015 - Release of updated Accident & Health and Life, Accident & Health exam content outlines on http://www.in.gov/idoi/2480.htm. Updates were made to the exams and exam outlines to reflect changes in the Affordable Care Act (ACA). See "Revision History" at the bottom of each outline.
- July 1, 2015 - DHS Producer License for Non-residents - Effective today, IC 27-1-15.6-8.2 provides for a non-resident DHS (Designated Home State) Producer license for non-resident individuals and business entities seeking licensure for a line of authority offered in Indiana that is not offered in their home state. See more information at: http://in.gov/idoi/2996.htm.
- January 27, 2015 - APPROVAL OF HIP 2.0. If you are a Marketplace certified insurance agent, be aware that HIP 2.0 has been approved. Information to help you with this new program can be found at the following links: www.in.gov/fssa/hip/2461.htm and http://www.hip.in.gov/.
- CLARIFICATION OF THE REQUIREMENT FOR THREE (3) HOURS OF ETHICS FOR PRODUCERS HOLDING LIFE, HEALTH, VARIABLE LIFE, AND VARIABLE ANNUITY QUALIFICAITONS.
The continuing education requirement for residents who hold licenses with life, health, variable life, and variable annuity qualifications has changed. Three (3) of the twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education must be related to ethical practices in the marketing and sale of life, health, or annuity insurance products.
For clarification, the legislative change in Indiana Code IC 27-1-15.7-2(a) is not intended to be imposed in the middle of a producer's renewal period and therefore producers will not be required to obtain the ethics requirement before they renew the next time. The ethics requirement applies to renewal periods that will start after July 2014. During this subsequent renewal period producers will need to complete this ethics requirement before the end of that renewal period.
We have not placed a specific completion date as Indiana producers are still transitioning to birth month renewals. Going forward the ethics requirement will be required as part of the twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education every renewal period. An insurance producer with qualifications in more than one line of authority will not be required to complete more than twenty-four (24) hours of credit to renew the license. IC 27-1-15.7-2(a) and (e). Producers taking three (3) hours of ethics as part of their CFP certification renewal will be compliant with this new requirement.
Continuing education providers of ethic courses should be reviewing their course content to ensure compliance with the legislative requirement. A syllabus will not be provided by the Department.
ETHICS REQUIREMENTS FAQs
- Bulletin 207 - Ethics Requirement for Producer Continuing Education (May 13, 2014)