Indiana’s surplus lines premium tax rate is 2.5% of gross premiums. Surplus lines premium tax is payable semi-annually on or before February 1st and August 1st.
POSTMARK DATES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
If the surplus lines tax payment is not received by the appropriate deadline, a ten percent 10% penalty will be assessed on any amounts received after the first of the month.
Semi-annual tax reports are required even if no business has been written for the past six months.
- Premium amounts reported on the tax report should agree with the amounts reported on the monthly reports for the given period. If different, amended reports and affidavits should be submitted for those months being corrected with the tax filing.
- To calculate the surplus lines taxes due, please multiply the total premiums by (0.025) to calculate the total amount of surplus lines tax due to Indiana.
- The surplus lines tax due from January through June must be received in our office on or before August 1st.
- The surplus lines tax due from July through December must be received in our office on or before February 1st.
- The tax payment is due with the completed tax report by the appropriate deadline.
- If a revision must be filed, the document should be clearly marked “revised” and must be submitted with original signatures. The revision should be submitted with a cover letter explaining the revision and any additional taxes and/or penalties should be remitted.
- The semi-annual tax report must list the tax preparer’s information for inquiry purposes.
Semi-Annual Tax Filing
Semi-Annual Tax Filing should be mailed to the following:
Surplus Lines Coordinator
Indiana Department of Insurance
311 W. Washington Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2787