Westville Correctional Facility History
Copy of Main
The campus which is now Westville Correctional Facility began in 1949. Beatty Memorial Hospital, a state run mental health facility, opened its doors to 135 mentally disabled Hoosiers in February of 1951. The hospital was named in honor of Dr. Norman Beatty, an Indianapolis doctor who had dedicated his career to mental health services. In 1974, a lawsuit filed by Indiana prisoners in US District Court forced the state to reduce overcrowding in its prisons, creating the need for another prison. Governor Otis Bowen and the Indiana legislature then transferred Beatty Memorial Hospital to the Department of Correction. In July of 1979, following renovations and additions, 1200 offenders were transferred to the Westville Correctional Facility. With only 32 segregation cells for a population that had grown to 2600 inmates, a 220 bed Maximum Control Segregation Unit was added in 1989-1991.