Effective July 1, 2009, the Indiana General Assembly enacted the Indiana Electronic Waste Law (Indiana Code 13-20.5), resulting in the establishment of Indiana E-Cycle. The purpose of the program is to reduce the amount of electronic waste being sent to Indiana landfills and to ensure that hazardous substances found in electronic waste are being managed in an appropriate and environmentally responsible manner.
The program holds manufacturers of video display devices (VDDs) (televisions, computer monitors, laptops, netbooks, notebooks, tablet computers, and e-readers) responsible for collecting and recycling covered electronic devices from households, public schools, and small businesses in Indiana equal to at least sixty percent (60%) by weight of the VDDs they manufacturer and sell to Indiana households. Manufacturers are able to work with any collectors and recyclers that are registered with Indiana E-Cycle to meet their recycling obligation.
Indiana E-Cycle includes requirements for manufacturers and retailers of video display devices, as well as for e-waste collectors and recyclers. Indiana households, public schools, and small businesses also have a role in the program and are subject to the disposal prohibition. Please visit the “Participants” section below for links to pages with more information about the specific responsibilities of each stakeholder group.
Program Updates & Reminders
- Collector and recycler annual reports are due by April 1. These reports cover calendar year 2013 and are currently being accepted. Both the collector and recycler annual report forms are available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Compliance Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section. If your company was registered as both a collector and a recycler in 2013, both the collector and recycler annual report need to be submitted.
- Manufacturer annual reports are due by June 1. This report covers calendar year 2013 and is currently being accepted. The manufacturer annual report form is available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Compliance Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section.
- Manufacturer registrations and registration fees were due January 1 for Program Year 5, which began January 1, 2014. If you missed the deadline and are subject to registration requirements a completed registration form must still be submitted. The manufacturer registration form is available on the IDEM Forms page under Office of Compliance Support, in the Indiana E-Cycle section. Online registration is now available, provided by eCycleRegistration.
The first report on the implementation of the Indiana E-Waste Law and summary results from the first three years of Indiana E-Cycle are available on the Indiana E-Cycle Results page.
- Registration is required for manufacturers that offer video display devices (VDDs) (televisions, computer monitors, laptops, netbooks, notebooks, tablet computers, and e-readers) for sale to Indiana households. Detailed information on manufacturer requirements, including annual registration and reporting, is provided on the Indiana E-Cycle Manufacturers page.
- All collectors collecting e-waste on behalf of a manufacturer to help the manufacturer fulfill their recycling obligation must be registered with Indiana E-Cycle. Detailed information on collector requirements, including annual registration and reporting, is available on the Indiana E-Cycle Collectors page.
- All recyclers recycling e-waste on behalf of a manufacturer to help the manufacturer fulfill their recycling obligation must be registered with Indiana E-Cycle. Detailed information on recycler requirements, including annual registration and reporting, is provided on the Indiana E-Cycle Recyclers page.
- Retailers that sell video display devices (VDDs) (televisions, computer monitors, laptops, netbooks, notebooks, tablet computers, and e-readers) to Indiana households can only sell registered VDD brands to their customers. Additional information on retailer requirements under the Indiana E-Waste Law is available on the Indiana E-Cycle Retailers page.
- Households, Small Businesses, and Public Schools:
- The following items are prohibited from being discarded by Indiana households, small businesses, and public (including charter) schools with municipal waste that is intended for disposal at a landfill or any waste that is intended for disposal by burning or incineration:
- Computer monitors
- Computers (including desktops, laptops, and tablets)
- Fax machines
- Peripherals (including keyboards, mice, external hard drives, printers, all-in-one printer/scanner/copiers, projectors, and any other devices that are sold exclusively for external use with a computer and provide input into or output from a computer)
- DVD players (including gaming systems that are able to play DVDs)
- Digital photo frames
- Digital media players
- iPods/MP3 players
- DVR/TiVo devices (including cable boxes and satellite boxes, but not satellite dishes)
- Portable GPS navigation systems
- The List of Indiana Registered E-Waste Collectors by County [PDF] provides information and locations to drop-off your e-waste for recycling.
Free Indiana E-Cycle outreach materials.
If you have questions regarding Indiana E-Cycle, contact the Office of Pollution Prevention and Technical Assistance at (800) 988-7901 or email "e-cycle at idem.in.gov".