White River, East Fork (Lower Watershed) TMDL
The Lower East Fork White River Watershed covers 207 square miles in Southwest Indiana and is located primarily in Daviess, Pike, Martin, and Dubois counties. The primary bodies of water included in the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report are Mud Creek, Aikman Creek, Bear Creek, Dogwood Lake, Sugar Creek, Birch Creek, Mill Creek, Slate Creek, and Hoffman Run.
Surveys of the Lower East Fork White River Watershed were conducted in 1986, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2007, 2012, and 2013 which includes probabilistic, targeted, and fish tissue programs. Impairments in the watershed include E. coli, PCBs, dissolved oxygen (DO), and impaired biotic communities (IBC). Potential pollution sources in the watershed include nonpoint sources from agriculture lands and pastures, rural run-off, as well as point sources from straight pipe discharges, and home sewage treatment system disposal.
Parameters To Be Addressed
IDEM will complete a comprehensive sampling program in the watershed that will be based on the current impairments. A total of 17 sites will be assessed for general chemistry, nutrients, habitat, and fish and macroinvertebrate communities. For a comprehensive list of all parameters, please reference the approved work plan.
A public kickoff meeting was held to introduce the project and solicit input on October 23, 2017 at 4:00PM (EST) at the St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 556 W Haysville Rd, Jasper, IN 47546.
Additional meetings will be held as needed. Please check the IDEM calendar for updates.
A draft TMDL meeting will be held in the summer of 2019 once the comprehensive sampling program is complete.
The TMDL Report
- The TMDL Report is to be completed by autumn 2019.
Watershed Characterization Monitoring 2017-2018
- Sampling and Analysis Workplan for the Monitoring Project [PDF]
- Map of IDEM Monitoring Sites [PDF]
- Photos of IDEM Monitoring Sites [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (Nov 2017 - Jan 2018) [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (Feb 2018 - Apr 2018) [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (May 2018 - Jul 2018) [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (Aug 2018 - Oct 2018) [PDF]