- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
Find Out Where to Recycle

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

IDEM > Permitting > Water Permits > Storm Water Permitting > Reporting a Storm Water Complaint or a Violation Reporting a Storm Water Complaint or a Violation

Storm water runoff that is discharged from an active construction site or an industrial facility may be regulated by IDEM. Storm water permits issued by IDEM are specifically targeted to the quality of the storm water runoff. IDEM does not regulate or have authority to address complaints and issues that are associated with storm water quantity, including flooding, drainage, or excessive runoff. These issues are typically addressed through local ordinances and building codes and should be directed to a local municipal or county governmental entity.

Complaints that are associated with storm water quality should be directed to the agency in one of three ways:

  • Submit the complaint on-line by using the Complaints website.
  • Fill out the Complaint Submission Form, which can be printed out and mailed to IDEM. If you have a map of the site or photos, please submit those documents with the printed Complaint Submission Form to:
    • Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management
    • ATTN: Complaint Coordinator
    • 100 North Senate Avenue
    • MC 50-03 Room N 1313
    • Indianapolis, IN 46204-2251
  • Call the Complaint Coordinator at (317) 232-4464, or Toll Free at (800) 451-6027 ext. 24464.

The following information will be helpful to IDEM when you are filing a complaint or notifying the agency of a violation:

  • Name(s) of suspected violator
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • E-Mail address
  • Detailed description of the activity:
    • Location, address, or driving instructions of the activity
    • Date(s) you observed the activity
    • Description of what you observed
    • Is the activity ongoing? (yes/no)
    • Descriptive location of violation/complaint
    • If applicable, the name of a creek, stream, etc. to which the run-off is discharging