- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST
Find Out Where to Recycle

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

IDEM > Compliance > Water Compliance > Source Water Protection - Drinking Water > Wellhead Protection Program > Wellhead: Working with USTs Wellhead: Working with USTs

Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) are one of the most common potential sources of contamination in a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA). Below are just a few suggestions from IDEM's Groundwater Section as a way to manage these potential sources.

  • Educate the UST owner/operator about their location within a WHPA.
  • Encourage employee training on spill reporting.
  • Suggest that they contact the Public Water Supply Operator in the event of a spill or a leak and provide them with appropriate contact information.
  • Search the IDEM Leaking UST website to see if you have or had a leaking UST in your WHPA; or contact the IDEM Leaking UST section directly:
    • Download site specific Leaking UST site information. You can download a file and sort through by county to find out if there are Leaking USTs in the WHPA.
    • Contact the IDEM Leaking UST section directly and give them the location information: via email at "leakingust at", or via phone at (317) 232-8900 or toll free at (800) 451-6027, Ext. 2-8900 (available Monday through Friday).
  • If there are facilities within your WHPA, find out if the facility has been inspected recently.
    • Contact the IDEM UST Section directly and give them the location information: (317) 308-3039.
  • Keep in Mind: Within a 1-year time of travel to a community public water supply well, Indiana Administrative Code (329 IAC 9) requires that new UST construction must be constructed with secondary containment, including both the tanks and the piping.
  • For additional information about USTs: About Underground Storage Tanks and Their Related Contaminatints.

If you have additional questions, please contact the Groundwater section for assistance at (317) 234-7477.