IDEM's Office of Land Quality's Remediation Services Branch includes those programs administered by IDEM that oversee the cleanup and restoration of contaminated properties, including both federal and state programs.
Below you will find brief descriptions of the programs and OLQ contact information if you have questions about remediation sites within your Wellhead Protection Area.
- The Brownfields Program assists in the assessment, cleanup, and reuse of brownfields, where redevelopment is complicated due to actual or potential environmental contamination. The program helps communities identify and mitigate environmental barriers that impede local economic growth.
- Types of Sites: Abandoned corner gas stations or dilapidated factories developed in commercial developments or recreational areas.
- U.S. EPA/Community Liaison & Outreach Coordinator, (317) 234-0235
- Technical Review Coordinator, (317) 233-2415
- Federal Programs
- Federal Programs include the Superfund Program, the Defense Environmental Restoration Program and the Natural Resources Damage Program.
- Types of Sites: Former Continental Steel (Kokomo, IN), remediation of Jefferson Proving Ground (southeastern Indiana), and White River Restoration.
- Contact: Federal Programs Section Chief, (317) 234-0351
- Leaking Underground Storage Tank
- The Leaking Underground Storage Tank Program oversees the cleanup of contamination resulting from leaking tanks, mostly petroleum tanks such as gas stations.
- Types of Sites: Gas Stations.
- Contact: LUST Section Chief, (317) 234-0974
- Site Investigations
- Site Investigations performs investigations and assessments of properties that are potentially contaminated.
- Types of Sites: Include a variety of sites that could be potentially contaminated.
- Contact: Site Investigations Section Chief, (317) 233-2773
- State Cleanup and Corrective Action
- This section includes Remedial Response Initiative, the RCRA Corrective Action Program, Immediate Removals and the State Cleanup Program.
- Types of sites: Dry Cleaners, Bulk Storage Facilities, Refineries, Manufacturing Facilities, Non-Registered Underground Storage Tanks (ex. Heating Oil Tanks).
- State Cleanup Section Chief, (317) 234-0347
- State Cleanup Section Senior Environmental Manager, (317) 234-3413
- Voluntary Remediation Program
- This program provides interested parties with the mechanism to voluntarily cleanup contamination.
- Types of Sites: Active and abandoned industrial sites, Commercial properties, Manufactured gas plants.
- Contact: VRP Section Chief, (317) 234-0966
General IDEM OLQ Questions?
- (800) 451-6027 (toll free in Indiana)
- (317) 232-8603 (Indianapolis area)
If you have additional questions, please contact the Ground Water section for assistance at (317) 308-3308.