The Whitewater Canal

The Whitewater Canal

Location: S. Grand Avenue/SR 121 at Eastern Avenue, NE corner between railroad track and highway, south Connersville. (Fayette County, Indiana)

Erected by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission, 1966

ID# : 21.1966.1

Marker Review Report: Learn more here.

Text

In 1836 construction began on this fifty-six lock, one hundred one mile canal. Opened from Lawrenceburg to Brookville (1839), it was extended to Laurel and Cincinnati (1843), Connersville (1845), Cambridge City (1846), and Hagerstown (1847). [map]

Keywords

Transportation, Business, Industry, and Labor