Location: Courthouse Square, south entrance, Bloomington. (Monroe County, Indiana)
Installed: 2001 Indiana Historical Bureau and Monroe County Government
ID# : 53.2001.1
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and Bloomington selected as county seat 1818. One-story, two-room log cabin built 1818 as first courthouse and school. Second courthouse, built here 1819-1826, was two stories, brick with stone foundation; expanded 1856-1857, 1875; demolished 1906 for construction of new courthouse.
Present courthouse completed 1908; designed by Wing and Mahurin of Fort Wayne in Beaux Arts style; built of locally quarried limestone. Features original fish-shaped weather vane from 1826 courthouse, carved classical figures, Ionic and Egyptian columns, stained glass; completely restored 1983-1984. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1976."
Buildings and Architecture, Government Institutions