Clay County Courthouse
Location: 609 E. National Road/US 40, Brazil. (Clay County, Indiana)
Installed: 2001 Indiana Historical Bureau, Clay County Commissioners, and Clay County Historical Society, Inc.
ID# : 11.2001.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1825; named for national statesman Henry Clay. First county seat at Bowling Green; had three courthouses: first built 1827 was two-story log structure; second and third built 1839-1840 and 1852-1853 were two-story brick. County seat moved to Brazil 1877 after fourth courthouse completed there in 1876.
This fifth courthouse designed by John W. Gaddis of Vincennes in Classical Revival Style. Built 1912-1914 of limestone; stained-glass skylight in central rotunda. Interior features marble wainscoting, granite columns, inlaid tile floors. Skylight restored, four tower clocks installed 1986. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999.
Government Institutions, Buildings and Architecture