IN.gov - Skip Navigation
Location: 220 E. Market Street, Vermillion County Historical Society, Newport. (Vermillion County, Indiana)
Installed: 2001 Indiana Historical Bureau and Vermillion County Indiana Historical Society, Inc.
ID# : 83.2001.1
First county jail built 1828 of logs at southwest corner of courthouse lawn. Second jail built 1836 of brick. Third jail and sheriff's residence built 1868 of brick in Italianate Style. This 1868 structure became sheriff's residence only, when jail addition built 1896 of rusticated stone in Romanesque Revival Style.
Facility ceased operation 1992. Structure owned by Vermillion County Historical Society since 1992. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999. County jails were first established in 1792 under laws of the Northwest Territory; they continued under laws of the Indiana Territory and state constitutions of 1816 and 1851.
Government Institutions, Buildings and Architecture