Portland Mills Covered Bridge

Portland Mills Covered Bridge

Location: CR 650 N, gravel road, Portland Mills Covered Bridge, SW of Waveland. (Parke County, Indiana)

Erected 1998 Indiana Historical Bureau and Portland Mills Homecoming Association

ID# : 61.1998.1

Text

Built 1856 by Henry Wolfe to Burr arch truss design. Moved here 1961 to replace Dooley Station Bridge. Restored and reopened 1996. Horizontal yellow poplar siding replaced with pine; oak arches; new cedar shingles; concrete abutments. Listed in National Register of Historic Places with Parke County covered bridges 1978.

Keywords

Transportation, Buildings and Architecture