Bartholomew County Courthouse
Location: SE corner of courthouse, 234 Washington Street, Columbus. (Bartholomew County, Indiana)
Installed: 2000 Indiana Historical Bureau and Joseph Hart Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
ID# : 03.2000.1
County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1821. Thirty acres of land were purchased, and John Tipton donated thirty acres, for county seat. State commissioners named county seat Tiptona--after Tipton; local elected commissioners renamed it Columbus. Tipton served as state representative, Indian agent, and United States senator.
Second Empire Style courthouse, designed by Isaac Hodgson, completed 1874, is county's fourth courthouse. Constructed of red brick with white limestone trim. Foundation is rusticated blue limestone. Original slate roof replaced 1953 with standing-seam copper. Extensive remodeling 1968; interior restoration completed 1998. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1979.
Government Institutions, Buildings and Architecture