Fort Benjamin Harrison

Fort Benjamin Harrison

 

Location: Otis Avenue between Hess and Lawton Roads, Indianapolis. (Marion County, Indiana)
No Longer Standing

Erected 1996 Indiana Historical Bureau and Fort Benjamin Harrison Historical Society

ID# : 49.1996.1

Text

Established by Congress, 1903, as infantry post. Named for former U.S. president from Indianapolis. Became important as administration and finance training center. Historic district--listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1995--retains characteristics of turn-of-the-century military community.

Keywords

Military, Historic District, Neighborhoods, and Towns