Location: 339 E. First Street & US 24, Roanoke. (Huntington County, Indiana)
Erected 1997 Indiana Historical Bureau and Roanoke Area Heritage Center.
ID# : 35.1997.1
First lock west of summit level of Wabash and Erie Canal (connected Lake Erie with Ohio River in 1853). Known as Dickey Lock. Built as Lock 1, 1834-1835, of wood construction; renumbered Lock 4 as result of canal completion to Ohio line (1840). Remnant of arch culvert nearby. Canal important to founding of Roanoke.
Transportation, Business, Industry, and Labor