Lexington First County Seat -
Scott County, Indiana
View the annotated text for this marker.
Historical Marker Text:
Scott County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1820; Lexington selected county seat. Attempts made 1823, 1839, 1840 to relocate county seat to more central location. Petition to County Commissioners 1870 was successful; town of Scottsburg platted 1871 as new county seat; actual move occurred 1874.
Lexington laid out 1810; plat recorded 1813; town incorporated 1816. First Scott County courthouse built here 1821 by Daniel P. Faulkner. Specifications called for brick construction and a hipped roof with poplar shingles and a twenty-foot cupola. Structure served as school 1874-1889, then was demolished.
Scott County Court House 1821-1874; Lexington School 1874-1889; demolished 1889. Picture taken in 1886.
Dedication September 20, 2002
Lexington A Pioneer town, Lexington Historical Society, Inc.