Greenville Treaty Flag Article, January 1937
The following article appeared in the Indiana History Bulletin, January 1937, vol. 14, No. 1, p. 5.
Greenville Treaty Flag
The Historical Bureau has received from Mrs. Leroy (Lalan M.) Dennis, of Wabash, an early United States flag which her father, the late Dr. Perry G. Moore, of Wabash, secured from Mary, daughter of Mrs. Dixon, an Indian woman, nearly seventy years ago. Dr. Moore found that the flag had earlier belonged to Kil-So-Quah, of Roanoke, granddaughter of Chief She-Moc-E-Nish, to whom it is believed the flag was presented by Anthony Wayne at the signing of the Treaty of Peace at Greenville, Ohio, in 1795. It is accompanied by an affidavit in which Dr. Moore tells the story of his getting possession of the flag and its history as related to him by the Indian woman.
The flag is made of domestic bunting, is approximately 5 feet fly by 3 feet, 8 inches hoist, and consists of 15 stripes of red, white, and blue. It is to be framed with a copy of the affidavit and other information. There is little doubt but that this is the oldest flag in the possession of the State of Indiana. It is a very notable addition to the collection in the State Capitol.