Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Purchases may be made via a visit to our office, by telephone (317-232-2535), fax (317-232-3728), or e-mail (ihb @ history.in.gov). More info on purchasing here.
Postcards on Indiana subjects are $.50 each; purchase 20 or more at $.25 each (no additional discounts apply)
Located in Indianapolis, the Indiana Statehouse is the state capitol building of the state of Indiana. Built in 1888, it houses the Indiana General Assembly, the Governor of Indiana, and the Supreme Court of Indiana along with other state officials.
Order No. 6450
Indiana State Capitol Building
The statue of Oliver P. Morton, Civil War Governor of Indiana from 1861-1867, stands at the Market Street entrance. This Neo-Roman structure with its Corinthian columns was constructed in 1877-1888 at a cost of 2 million dollars. The building's most distinguishing feature was the gold dome, which was 72 feet in diameter and rises to a height of 234 feet about ground.
Order No. 6402 Temporarily Out of Stock
The Indiana State Capitol Building, Indianapolis, Indiana, an example of Neo-Roman Architecture in downtown Indianapolis, built in 1888, was designed by architect Edwin May. It houses the Governor's office, the two houses of the legislature, and the supreme court.
Order No. 6415
The Lincoln Family came to Indiana in December, 1816 when Abraham was only seven years old and, during the next thirteen years, carved out of the forest a typical frontier farm. This farm has been reproduced at Lincoln Living Historical Farm, Lincoln City, Indiana.
Order No. 6406
Dedicated to the Indiana men killed in action during World War I, World War II, and the Korean War, this memorial includes a 450 seat auditorium and a military museum. University Square, with its cascading fountain (background) and Obelisk Square (foreground) provide a lovely resting spot in mid-town Indianapolis.
Order No. 5
Very popular in Indiana with the early farmers because they were faster, easier and cheaper to build. (2 men could build one). About 100 still survive and some are still in use, particularly in the North East part of the state.
Order No. 6427
Established in 2008, this state-of-the-art stadium has a seating capacity of 63,000. Its retractable roof and retractable north window offer a breathtaking view of downtown Indianapolis
Order No. 6449
The 183 million dollar facility opened in the fall of 1999. It is home to the NBA's Indiana Pacers and the WNBA 2012 Champion Indiana Fever. It also hosts college basketball including the Big Ten Conference tournament, indoor concerts, swimming events, and ice hockey.
Order No. 6426
The Best Ballpark in America opened in July 1996. A part of the White River State Park it seats 15,500 fans, has natural grass, a beautiful view of the downtown skyline and is home of the Indianapolis Indians.
Order No. 6421
One of Indiana's main industries, farmers raise corn, soy beans, cattle and pigs.
Order No. 6429
Adam's Mill built in 1845 on Wild Cat Creek in Carroll County, Indiana.
Order No. 6407
91 Covered Bridges-many over 100 years old still exist in Indiana. BELL'S FORD BRIDGE is 325 feet long and was built in 1869 over the east fork of White River in Jackson County near Seymour, Indiana.
Order No. 6401
Crosses the Vermillion River at the north edge of Eugene, Indiana. It was built in 1873, a one span Burr arch, and is 192' long and 16' wide.
Order No. 6440
This 259 foot long, double span Howe truss bridge is Hamilton County's only remaining covered bridge. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 and in 1999 Potter's Bridge Park was opened.
Order No. 6447
Over Salt Creek at North entrance, Brown County State Park, 1 mile South East of Nashville, Indiana. Built 1838 at Raccoon, Indiana and moved to park in 1932. A single span, 96 ft., two lane, Burr Arch type, it is perhaps the oldest bridge in use in Indiana.
Order No. 6439
Billboards of Yesterday still dot the countryside along Indiana Highways
Order No. 1317
Indiana Supreme Court Justices: James Frazier, Jehu Elliot, Robert Gregory, and Charles Ray (l. to r.) were elected in the 1864 election alongside Governor Oliver P. Morton and President Abraham Lincoln.
Order No. 6442
The Court has been hearing cases in this courtroom since 1888 when the present State House was completed. This is longer than any other supreme court in the United States has sat in the same place.
Order No. 6443 & 6451
In 1818 the second session of the Indiana General Assembly appropriated $98.75 to the Indiana Supreme Court for the purchase of books and the creation of its own seal. The Court has used this seal ever since.
Order No. 6444
Standing 284 feet tall, this limestone and bronze monument is the center of the "Circle City," Indianapolis, Indiana.
Order No. 6420
The capital of the state of Indiana, Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the United States. Indianapolis is the largest city in the United States not located on a major body of water. Indianapolis plays host to numerous convention and sporting events, including the Indianapolis 500 and the 2012 Super Bowl.
Order No. 6430
Indianapolis has many parks such as this canal and walkway which provide a relaxing atmosphere away from heavy traffic and high buildings which now dwarf the capitol building once the tallest building in Indiana by state law.
Order No. 6425
The Canal Walk at night. Illuminated on the left is the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial.
Order No. 6452
The Indianapolis Artsgarden is erected over the intersection of Illinois and Washington Streets.
Order No. 6453
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park.
Order No. 6454 On Clearance - $0.25
Christmas on the Circle
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is annually transformed into one of the world's largest Christmas trees.
Order No. 6405
The skyline of Indianapolis is lit up by fireworks displays held on Independence Day and Labor Day.
Order No. 1315
One of Indiana's most spectacular natural wonders. You'll see breathtaking waterfalls and deep bouldered canyons as you hike along the trails through this scenic 178-acre state park.
Order No. 6433
The First State Capitol (1816-1825) is situated in the center of Corydon's National Historic District. The historic district includes many of Indiana's foremost landmarks. Corydon was also the scene of Indiana's only Civil War battle on July 9, 1863 during General John Hunt Morgan's Great Raid through Indiana and Ohio.
Order No. 6441
Three Siamese kittens.
Order No. 6456 On Clearance - $0.25
The Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, the larges single-day sporting event in the world, has been held every year since 1911, with the sole exception of 1917-18 and 1942-45 when the U.S. was involved in the two world wars.
Order No. 1314
Between 1909 and 1973, the main entrance to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (seen here in 1947) was originally located to take advantage of a railway station, which was directly across the street.
Order No. 6416
Racing Capitol of the World
This 2 1/2 mile oval track, where the very first 500-mile race was held in 1911, hosts three of the largest single day sporting events in the world, the Indianapolis 500, Brickyard 400, and the United State Grand Prix. The newest edition to the infield was the road course, which was completed in 2000.
Order No. 6432
Indianapolis 500 Pagoda
For many years, the Indianapolis 500 radio network broadcast booth and the timing and scoring crews were housed in this Japanese-style Pagoda. Shown in the early 1950s, this landmark was razed after the 1956 race to make way for a newer Master Control Tower.
Order No. 6417
Every Memorial Day Weekend, race fans gather from the world over to see the latest in automotive excellence put to the ultimate test.
Order No. 6431
Part of the 40-car field pulls away on the pace lap of the very first Indianapolis 500 in 1911. The cars were lined up in rows of five (rather than three), and in the early days most drivers were accompanied by a riding mechanic.
Order No. 6418
The Indiana State Seal, a needlepoint piece totaling more than a half-million stitches, was created by Hoosier members of the Embroiderer's Guild of America as a bicentennial gift to the Indiana State Museum.
Order No. 6409
The tulip tree, Liriodendron Tulipifera, was adopted as the state tree by an act of the Indiana General Assembly on March 3, 1931. Attaining average heights of 80'-120', it was once the monarch of the great forests that covered Indiana in pioneer times. The tulip tree is now used in landscaping for its shape, size, and distinctive bell-shaped yellow blossoms. Its white wood is used for furniture, toys, and musical instruments.
Order No. 6411
The cardinal, (Richmondena Cardinalis Cardinalis), was adopted as the state bird by an act of the General Assembly on March 9, 1933. The male is bright red with a black face and a red bill. The female is a buff-brown with tinges of red on wings and tail. A year long resident of Indiana, the cardinal's rich and cheery voice may be heard in any season. They nest in thickets of brambles or low saplings. The eggs, 2 to 4, are pale bluish-green with brown markings.
Order No. 6412
The Hoosier Heritage Quilt, a collaboration between Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service, features quilt blocks made by winners from each Indiana county, pieced together in "stained glass" style. The official state quilt is a tribute to Hoosier pride and to the participants.
Order No. 6410
This map of the Hoosier State includes drawings of the state flag, state flower, notable places, people, and resources.
Order No. 6428