Family members and visitors are welcome as a help in the treatment of patients and are especially helpful to the treatment team in maintaining community and family contacts during the hospitalization.
Madison State Hospital protects the privacy of its patients, in accordance with HIPAA privacy regulations. Individuals must have written authorization from the patient or guardian, and be in the switchboard database before being allowed to visit the patient.
Visitation hours are weekends and holidays, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Special visitation times can be arranged with prior approval from the treatment team or social service specialist.
Please remember that daily treatment and activities are integral parts of recovery and are considered a priority.
What not to bring:
- Metal cans, glass bottles (e.g. perfumes), fountain drinks
- Cell phones or any personal device with recording capability
- Intoxicating beverages and any or all items that contain alcohol (i.e. mouthwash, aftershave, body spray)
- Tobacco products and/or any items that can be smoked, including electronic cigarettes and/or ingested chew/snuff
- Lighters, matches or any device that produces a flame
- Weapons, real and potential including razors, pocket knives
- Illicit drugs
- Gang related material
- Pornographic material
- Please be advised that the hospital is NOT responsible for lost, damaged or stolen belongings. We recommend that valuable items not be brought to the hospital.
No one under 18 years of age will be allowed to visit without a doctor's order.
Visitors will sign in and out at the switchboard in the Administration Building.
Please remember that daily treatment and activities are integral parts of recovery and are consider a priority.
- Occur in the downtown area - security staff and Behavioral Health Recovery Attendants staff will be assigned/present in area at all times to monitor and ensure safety.
- Visitors under 18, with psychiatric approval and arrangements made with Social Services in advance.
- Individualized, clinically assessed benefit/risk ration indicates visitation in neighborhood dining room warranted.
- Families requests for visits to be made by Wednesday of each week through the unit Social Service Specialist.
- Requets made later than that may not be honored.
- Families ot limit visits to one-two hours duration, no more than three-four visitors at a time.