Family members and visitors are welcome as a help in the treatment of patients and are especially helpful to the treatment team in maintaining community and family contacts during the hospitalization.
Madison State Hospital protects the privacy of its patients, in accordance with HIPAA privacy regulations. Individuals must have written authorization from the patient or guardian, and be in the switchboard database before being allowed to visit the patient.
Visitation hours are weekends and holidays, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Special visitation times can be arranged with prior approval from the treatment team or social service specialist. No one under 18 years of age will be allowed to visit without a doctor’s order and all visitors must sign in and out at the switchboard in the Administration building.
Please remember that daily treatment and activities are integral parts of recovery and are considered a priority.
What not to bring:
- Metal cans, glass bottles (e.g. perfumes), fountain drinks
- Cell phones or any personal device with recording capability
- Intoxicating beverages and any or all items that contain alcohol (i.e. mouthwash, aftershave, body spray)
- Tobacco products and/or any items that can be smoked, including electronic cigarettes and/or ingested chew/snuff
- Lighters, matches or any device that produces a flame
- Weapons, real and potential including razors, pocket knives
- Illicit drugs
- Gang related material
- Pornographic material
- Please be advised that the hospital is NOT responsible for lost, damaged or stolen belongings. We recommend that valuable items not be brought to the hospital.