The ELAC was established in 2013 by the Indiana General Assembly (IC 12-17.2-3.7). Committee membership is appointed by the governor and includes representation from the Bureau of Child Care, the Department of Education, Head Start, an early childhood education program, Cummins, Eli Lilly, and the Welborn Baptist Foundation. The committee's responsibilities include:
- Conducting periodic statewide needs assessments concerning the quality and availability of early education programs for children from birth to the age of school entry, including the availability of high quality prekindergarten education for low income children in Indiana
- Identifying opportunities for and barriers to collaboration and coordination among federally and state funded child development, child care, and early childhood education programs and services, including governmental agencies that administer the programs and services
- Assessing the capacity and effectiveness of two and four year public and private higher education institutions in Indiana for the support and development of early educators including professional development and career advancement plans and practice or internships with or prekindergarten programs
- Recommending to the Division procedures, policies, and eligibility criteria for the Early Education Matching Grant program
- Other duties as determined necessary by the chairperson of the committee
The ELAC must make annual recommendations to the governor and legislative council concerning the results of the committee's work.
If you have questions about the ELAC, please contact Melanie Brizzi at Melanie.Brizzi@fssa.in.gov or (317) 234-3313.
Kevin Bain, Welborn Baptist Foundation (ELAC chairman)
Alonzo Weems, Eli Lilly
Tammy Veselsky, Traders Point Christian Academy
Melanie Brizzi, Indiana FSSA, Bureau of Child Care
Charlie Geier, Indiana Department of Education
Beckie Minglin, Office of the Head Start Collaboration Director
Connie Sherman, St. Mary's Child Center (ELAC special advisor)
John Burnett, Community Education Coalition (ELAC special advisor)
More information about ELAC members can be found in this press release- Governor Pence Appoints Early Learning Advisory Committee
The next ELAC meeting is scheduled for March 7, 2014 from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Indiana Government Center South, conference room 17.
January 17, 2014
December 4, 2013
October 31, 2013