The Indiana State Fair is in Full-Swing!
August 9, 2017
As summer draws to a close, it means the Indiana State Fair is in full-swing!
The Indiana State Fair has been a staple of the Indiana economy for nearly 165 years.
The Wonderful World of Food, the theme for this year’s Indiana State Fair highlights one of the many reasons that over 800,000 visitors flock to the fairgrounds annually.
Each year we indulge in tasty snacks and sweet treats, but we often forget that these vendors and concessionaires are subject to a variety of fees such as percentages of gross sales, commercial, and/or food and beverage sales tax. With more than 125 food stands at the Indiana State Fair the revenue to the local economy and state quickly adds up in the short amount of time the fair operates.
With all the fun and food, visitors often forget the numbers that are associated with the purchase of a delicious corn dog. Such numbers include:
- Percentage Rates – Food and Beverage Concessionaires will pay fees corresponding to their assigned percentage of the gross sales after taxes.
- Outside Food & Beverage - 20%
- Indoor Food & Beverage - 30%
- Sales Tax – Commercial sales tax for all sales is 7% in the State of Indiana. Food and beverage sales tax is 9% in Marion County.
Anyone doing business in the State of Indiana is required to have an Indiana Retail Merchants Certificate (IRMC) and must supply a copy of this information to the Concessions Office. If you need a license or have any questions, please contact the Indiana State Department of Revenue 317-233-4015.
For more information on the Indiana State Fair, please visit http://www.indianastatefair.com/state-fair/ or download their free app!
We look forward to seeing you at the Indiana State Fair this August 4-20!
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017