New Legislation Part 2 – Special Taxes
Dec. 11, 2013 – TaxTalk Blog
Aviation fuel tax, special fuel tax, and gasoline use tax, oh my! You may not know the department administers more than 21 special taxes, ranging from an aircraft license excise tax to a petroleum severance tax. This past legislative session brought changes to many of Indiana’s special taxes. With tax season 2014 around the corner, let’s review the special tax legislation that affects the upcoming New Year.
Some key special tax legislation is effective beginning in 2014 and will soon affect Hoosier businesses. Beginning January 1, 2014:
- Truck stop owners must obtain a truck stop owner’s license from the department.
- Liquefied and compressed natural gases are added to the legal definition of alternative fuel, and alternative fuels will be considered special fuel.
- A special fuel tax of $.16 per gallon will be applied to the diesel gallon equivalent for liquefied natural gas (LNG) and the gasoline gallon equivalent for compressed natural gas (CNG).
- A motor carrier fuel use tax, and use tax surcharge tax, will be imposed on vehicles using liquefied natural gas or compressed natural gas.
Later in 2014 the legislation will affect gasoline sales. Beginning July 1, 2014:
- Indiana retail merchants will no longer be obligated to collect sales tax on gasoline sales.
- Qualified distributors, refiners, or terminal operators will be required to collect and remit gasoline use tax to the department. The use tax rate will be calculated monthly based on 7 percent of the statewide average retail price of gasoline.
If you really want to dig into all the state tax laws that begin in 2014, check out the 2013 Synopsis of Legislation Affecting the Indiana Department of Revenue. Here you’ll find a summary of the 2013 changes/updates by both topic and tax type (such as individual income tax, sales tax, withholding tax, etc.)
And stay tuned for Part 3 in our New Legislative Series – Individual Tax Changes.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
Next to the holidays, back-to-school time can be the most expensive season for many Hoosier families. Luckily, Indiana offers a few education related deductions and credits to put money back in your pocket. Read more...
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
August is back to school time for Hoosier students across the state. Although homeschoolers in Indiana are not required to follow a traditional school calendar, now is a good time to remind homeschool families about the state's homeschool tax deduction. Read more...
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017
- Filing Past Year Tax Returns
July 27, 2017
- Reading Your Tax Bill
July 05, 2017
- Fireworks Public Safety Fee in Indiana
June 21, 2017