District offices help with tax bills

June 24, 2013 – TaxTalk Blog

Sometimes we have questions that we just want to ask someone about face-to-face. While a telephone call might help, or a website could have the answers, sometimes we just need that in-person discussion to solve the problem.

If you receive one of the approximately 60,000 tax bills that we are sending out this month and want to discuss the bill in-person, consider visiting one of our district offices. We may be closer than you think. We have twelve district offices around the state. They are located in Bloomington, Clarksville, Columbus, Evansville, Ft. Wayne, Kokomo, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Merrillville, Muncie, South Bend and Terre Haute.

Representatives at these district offices will sit down with you and address your concerns about your tax bill, discuss payment plans, and help get you started with INtax Pay. You can also pay your tax bill while you’re there. We accept exact cash, checks, money orders, cashier’s checks, Visa, MasterCard and/or Discover.

Other services available at the district offices include

  • Answering your state individual and/or business tax questions
  • Accepting your completed state tax return(s) (paper filing only)
  • Helping you correct or adjust a tax return that has already been filed with us
  • Providing you with state tax forms (based on availability)
  • Answering your questions about our collection process (tax warrants with the sheriff and/or collection agency, bank levies, liens on credit reports, etc.)
  • Assisting you with license protests

However, these offices will not prepare income tax returns or business tax returns.

For the phone number and address of the district office near you, visit this list. All offices are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday – Friday, except for holidays.

Please review these tips before making the trip to see us so that you can come prepared:

  • Bring a current government-issued photo ID (sorry, your yearbook picture doesn’t count).
  • If you’re dealing with a payment discrepancy, bring a copy (front and back) of the cancelled check in question. That way we’ll be able to determine to which account that payment was applied.
  • Bring all correspondence and other paperwork associated with your issue, including any bill you may have received, a copy of the tax return(s) in question, missing W-2 forms, etc.
  • Have your Social Security number with you. If you’re representing a business, be sure to bring the business’s Taxpayer identification (TID) and location number with you as well.
  • Be prepared to leave your contact phone number and current address, in case we need to do some follow-up.
  • If you are representing a taxpayer, be sure to bring a copy of your power of attorney form.

If visiting our website or making a telephone call is more convenient for you, we encourage you to visit our website. If your question is about a billing, call (317) 232-2165 for assistance.

If you receive a tax bill but don’t have any questions about it, visit INtaxPay here to either pay it in full or to set up a payment plan.

We look forward to working with you to help resolve any concerns you may have.

If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to feedback@dor.in.gov
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook   Twitter