Intrastate and Interstate Carrier


What if I'm an interstate and intrastate carrier?

You’ll have the same requirements as an interstate carrier. You will need to apply for a USDOT number and/or an MC number if for-hire operation applies and pay UCR fees. Pay your fuel tax paid for and have the proper fuel tax license for where you are driving. It's important to register for an IRP and be sure to meet all the federal and state requirements for all motor carriers and drivers.

What if I change my operations at a later time?

If you drive in Indiana only and now want to cross the state line, you will need to exchange that intrastate MCFT License for an IFTA License.

The same is true if you used to travel interstate and now will stay only in Indiana. You will need to swap out your old IFTA License for an intrastate MCFT License.

There is a simple process to change your fuel tax over. Contact DOR at 317-615-7345 and ask for a closure letter so we can close out that old fuel tax account (this works for both IFTA and MCFT). Then you can ask for an IFTA-1 or MCFT-1 application for the “new” fuel tax type you need.

Keep in mind that you will need to return any unused fuel tax decals, and if you happen to have IRP-apportioned plates that you will not be renewing, you will need to return those.

When deciding what you will need to do with your USDOT Number and/or Indiana ID Number, you will need fill out a new BAS-1.