Indiana Tax Clearance
If you have received a tax protest letter requesting you get a tax clearance from the Indiana Department of Revenue, it might be due to:
- You having an outstanding liability with the Department
- You not being registered as an Indiana taxpayer
- You having missing tax returns
- You not having current tax account(s)
In some cases, the Department may hold the renewal of any license issued by the State of Indiana until all tax issues have been resolved.
The Department issues tax clearances for the following:
- Alcohol and Tobacco License - For information about the renewal and/or issuance of an alcohol license, visit www.in.gov/atc Please note that if you are applying for a license in Marion County, you will need to also complete and send the Department a Tax Clearance Form
- Dealer License - For information about the renewal/issuance of a dealer license, visit www.in.gov/sos/
- Hoosier Lottery Retailer - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Hoosier Lottery Retailer License, visit The Hoosier Lottery website.
- Professional License - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Professional License, visit www.in.gov/pla
- University Contractors
To receive a tax clearance for any of the above licenses, you must meet the following requirements:
- All tax returns must be filed up-to-date.
- All outstanding delinquencies must be paid in full.
- All payments must be made using guaranteed funds
All payments must be made with guaranteed funds to satisfy all outstanding liabilities. Failure to use guaranteed funds will result in a delay in clearances until such time the Department has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
You may elect to pay online through our ePay system. However, paying by this method will also delay clearance until the Department has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
To expedite the clearance of your license protest, all correspondence, payments and missing returns must be sent directly to the license area of the collection division. If this information is sent through normal channels, it could delay the clearance on your license protest.
Please mail any required documentation for the tax clearance to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
100 N Senate Ave., MS 111
Indianapolis, IN 46204
For more information regarding Alcohol and Tobacco license tax clearances, contact the Department’s Compliance Check Unit at (317) 232-5977.