Register a New Business
Who needs to register?
If you are starting a new business in Indiana, you may need to register with the Indiana Department of Revenue.
You will need to register your business with the department if you:
- Will be selling products or tangible items (sales tax)
- Have employees (withholding tax)
- Sell food and beverages (sales tax and food-and-beverage tax)
- Rent accommodations for less than 30 days (innkeeper's tax)
- Rent motor vehicles (motor vehicle rental tax)
- Distribute gasoline or special fuel (prepaid fuel tax)
- Sell tires (tire fee)
- Sell fireworks (sales tax and safety fee)
- Sell prepaid wireless cards (911 fee)
To register your business with the department, please visit INBiz.
For more information about business taxes, visit the New and Small Business Education Center.
Independent contractors doing business in Indiana may have additional requirements.
How do I register?
The application allows you to set up the appropriate tax accounts for your business.
Please note that you must complete registration for each location. If you wish to consolidate tax filings for all or some of your locations, you may choose to complete Form BT-1C (Authorization for Consolidated Sales Tax Filing Number).