21st Annual Surface Mined Land Reclamation Technology Transfer Seminar
Most documents on this CD are in various Microsoft Office formats. If you don't have Microsoft Office, you can download a free office suite for various platforms from http://www.openoffice.org/ which will allow you to read the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
Note: All presentations and documents on this CD are property of their authors. Use of this information requires the express written consent of its author(s).
Click here for the meeting agenda.
Monday, December 3rd
Three Phases of a Water Sampling Event
- Jim Risch, Environmental Chemist, Indiana Department of Environmental Management
- Rodger Wilson, Manager of Mining Environmental Services, Mid-America Division, Standard Laboratories, Inc.
Stream & Wetland Workshop--Applications of Computer Technology in Mining (Agenda)
- Kale Horton, Natural Resource Specialist, Office of Surface Mining, Alton, IL
- Paul Behum, Hydrologist, Office of Surface Mining, Alton, IL
- Nicholas Grant, Natural Resource Specialist, Office of Surface Mining, Alton, IL
- Dan Hause, IN Division of Reclamation
- Larry Schneider, President, Detonation Safety Engineering
- Seth Burns, Technical Manager, Midland Powder Company
- Victor Makximenko, Deputy Director, Naval Surface Warfare Center-Crane Division
- Fred Grabner, Owner, Grabner Blasting & Consulting
- Trudy Payne, Vice President, Nobel Insurance Services
- Paul Downing, Senior Loss Control Representative, Nobel Insurance Services
Tuesday, December 4th
- Ervin Barchenger, Acting Director, Office of Surface Mining, Mid-Continent Region Update on happenings at OSM over the past year.
- Francis Salifu, Post-doctoral Research Scientist, Purdue University. The merits of nutrient loading to promote seedling performance on mined lands and how it was achieved.
- Robert Dunker, Superintendent of Crop Sciences Research & Education Center, University of Illinois Soil property based formula to expedite bond releases and a discussion on its advantages.
- Brad Rigsby, Project Engineer, Five Star Mining.Overview of various mining methods employed in planned subsidence operations examples of surface effects and mitigation, and current regulations on subsidence control plans in Indiana.
- Colleen Baughman, AVS/Education Coordinator, IN DNR, Division of Reclamation. The importance of outreach in the mining industry and what types are done at the Division of Reclamation.
- Barry Hennessy, USA Vice President, Automated Positioning Systems Highlights some of the newest GPS technology used in mine land reclamation
- Mark Stacy, Environmental Specialist, IN DNR, Division of Reclamation, AML reclamation projects that have occurred in the South Fork Patoka River Watershed over the past 20+ years and the resulting impacts to water quality.
- Ron Kizer, Resource Planner, Illinois DNR, AML Program. How one of the midwest’s worse cases of AMD was mitigated and what’s left to be done.
- Marty Irwin, Director, Indiana Center for Coal Technology Research, Purdue University
- Frank Howard III, Project Manager, Howard Concrete Pumping Company, Inc. Grouting operations at Edwardsport project.
IGCC Project Update [Presentation Not Available]
- Jack Stultz, IGCC Plant General Manager, Duke Energy Indiana. Update on the Edwardsport IGCC Plant.
- John Rupp, Assistant Director for Research, Indiana Geological Survey. A brief overview of technical advances on sequestration to date, future challenges and some new considerations happening on the policy side.
- Kale Horton, Natural Resources Specialist, Office of Surface Mining Mid-Continent Region. Using SMCRA performance standards to establish quality Bobwhite Quail habitat in Indiana.
- Ramona Briggeman, IN DNR, Division of ReclamationDifferent types of wildlife habitat and abilities to support quail populations.
- Kimery Vories, Natural Resource Specialist/Technology Transfer, Office of Surface Mining Mid-Continent RegionOSM’s study of data on changes in Indiana Bat populations when correlated with coal production areas.