Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Harmonie State Park is located "on the banks of the Wabash" 25 miles northwest of Evansville. A beautiful swimming pool, shady picnic areas, ravines and pristine landscape await you here. This is a trail lover's paradise! Trails for walking, biking and nature hikes will lure you for a visit.
Nearby Historic New Harmony honors two unique communities from the early 1800s. The Rappites located here in 1814. They were fleeing from religious persecution and awaiting the impending millennium. In 1824, the Owenites brought many great scientists and philosophers into the area when they purchased the Rappites holdings.
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
DESCRIPTION OF HIKING TRAILS
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
1. MODERATE (1 mile)— A relatively short trail leading from the youth tent campground into a ravine and gradually ascending into wooded areas and grassy plateaus. This trail returns to the youth tent area, past one of the largest pecan trees in the state.
2. MODERATE (1.5 miles)—Leads from the modern campground between wooded hills, descending to a small steam. Meanders on an old country road next to a fast flowing brook, with some steep hill in certain places. Returns to the modern campground entrance.
3. MODERATE (1 mile)—Begins at the Poplar Grove picnic area and continues past the water tower. Overlooks a small stream, which it eventually crosses. Returns to picnic area after ascending a steep hill.
4. MODERATE (2.5 miles)—A fairly long trail with steep hills, winds through natural forests descending into ravines across two streams. The trail joins three picnic areas, any of which may be used as a starting point. Follows a short section of Trail 1.
5. EASY (.75 mile)—Beginning near the campground gatehouse, crosses the dam on a small wildlife pond and returns to the campground. This is a good trail for observing pond life and white-tailed deer.
6. EASY (.75 mile)—Three-fourths of a mile, easy trail. Begins and ends at Cherry Hill picnic area.
River Walk (.25 mile)—This walk follows the Wabash River from picnic area to boat ramp.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS.