- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Historic Preservation & Archaeology > Help for Owners > Financial Aid > Grants > Past DHPA Involvement > Central Region Central Region

Central RegionAbbreviations Used:

  • NHL - National Historic Landmark
  • HI - Hometown Indiana
  • HPF - Historic Preservation Fund
  • HTI - Historic Theater Initiative
  • NRHP - National Register of Historic Places 
  • SR - Indiana State Register
  • TC - Rehabilitation Tax Credits
  • UGRR - Underground Railroad Initiative
  • WRHC - Wabash River Heritage Corridor


State Theater (NRHP, HTI)
1925 theater in downtown Anderson. It is under new ownership and he is considering the rehabilitation of the theater which could utilize tax credits.

Mounds State Park (NRHP, HPF funding)
This site contains and preserves some of the finest examples of prehistoric earthwork and mound building in the state.


River Road Park and Strawtown Koteewi Park (received HPF)
These parks are important archaeology sites. The River Road Park is unique because its main purpose is archaeology. There is a playground and interpretive center that is focused on archaeology and Native Americans. Strawtown Koteewi Park has had archaeologists from several universities working there for numerous years on the extremely important archaeological sites. The Taylor Center of Natural history opened in September and includes archaeology lab, classrooms, curation area and research center. The Hamilton County Parks and Recreation Department received the Indiana Archaeology Award from the DHPA.

Strawtown Koteewi Park


Lew Wallace Carriage House (NHL, HPF)
1898 carriage house where General Lew Wallace, author of Ben Hur, created some of his mechanical inventions. The grant paid for exterior rehabilitation of the carriage house and the Crawfordsville Parks and Recreation Department uses it for office space, restroom facilities, and interpretive space.

Lew Wallace Carriage House (NHL, HPF)

Lew Wallace Carriage House (NHL, HPF) - After


F & AM Lodge #308 (NRHP, HI)
1898 home of the Masons was constructed after an 1897 fire that destroyed part of downtown Farmland. The grant paid for masonry rehabilitation, roof replacement, and installation of basement floor and drainage. The first floor is a community center and there is an apartment on the second floor.

F & AM Lodge #308 (NRHP, HI) - Before

F & AM Lodge #308 (NRHP, HI)


Artcraft Theater (NRHP, HTI)
The 1922 Artcraft Theater originally hosted silent movies and vaudeville. In the 1930s-1940s it was renovated into the Art Deco styled building it is today. Franklin Heritage purchased the Artcraft in early 2004 and is restoring the building while currently showing movies.

Artcraft Theater (NRHP, HTI)


George Kessler Indianapolis Park and Boulevard System (NRHP, HPF)
The Indianapolis Parks Department received a grant to write the National Register nomination for the George Kessler designed Parks and Boulevard System which documents over 160 contributing resources and 3400 acres. A second HPF grant paid for two interpretive markers (Garfield and Riverside Parks), brochure, and master plan for interpretation. 

Taggart Memorial (part of Kessler Park and Boulevard System NRHP, HPF)
1931 memorial to Indianapolis Mayor Thomas Taggart who supported the creation of city parks. Another HPF grant was awarded to the Parks Department to obtain construction documents to restore the Taggart Memorial in Riverside Park. This is in the planning phases.

Taggart Memorial (part of Kessler Park and Boulevard System NRHP, HPF)

Propylaeum (NRHP, HPF)
1892 home of German brewer John Schmidt that became the home of the Propylaeum, a women’s club, in 1923. The grant paid for the rehabilitation of the limestone porch. The building continues to house the women’s club.

Propylaeum (NRHP, HPF)


Union County Courthouse (NRHP, HPF)
1890 courthouse is the only property in Union County listed on the NRHP and still functions as the courthouse. The grant paid for a new slate roof.

Union County Courthouse (NRHP, HPF)


Carnegie Library (NRHP, HPF)
1908 Carnegie library with 1990 addition. Grant paid for repointing all building masonry and drainage and foundation protection. The Carnegie library is the main library for Morgan County. 

Carnegie Library (NRHP, HPF)


Dickinson Log Cabin (NRHP, HPF)
2-story log house built by Richmond’s first tinsmith that was moved to the grounds of the Wayne County Museum in 1968. The 2005 grant will pay for general rehabilitation.

Dickinson Log Cabin (NRHP, HPF)