- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Information for Research Professionals Information for Research Professionals

The Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology (DHPA) has a variety of information related to above-ground resources (structures). These records are available for researchers, historians, consultants and members of the public to review. The DHPA has an online database (SHAARD) with above ground structures found in the IHSSI (county survey), cemeteries, and structures listed in the National Register of Historic Places. SHAARD can be accessed from any computer. Not all 250,000 records are yet in SHAARD, but more are being entered every day.

If you do not find the record you are looking for and desire to see the paper copy, contact the office at 317/234-5254 to make an appointment to research above-ground data; this appointment may be concurrent with a below-ground (archaeology) records check.

Records check appointments for individuals are currently available Monday though Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. These slots fill up quickly, so be sure to call as soon as you know you will need an appointment. Please note that walk-ins and calls for same-day appointments may not be accommodated because of the high volume number of appointments and the amount of materials which need to be pulled for appointments.

The following information must be faxed to the Records Check Coordinator at the DHPA (317/ 232-0693).

Researcher Information

  • Researcher’s Name
  • Number of People Coming (so the correct number of seats are reserved)
  • Researcher’s Phone Number
  • Researcher’s Email

Documents Requested

  • County
  • Township
  • City and/or Scattered Sites
  • Whether you want interim reports, quad maps, and/or site cards for a given area. (For most state and federal reviews interim reports and quad maps will be sufficient.)
  • State and/or National Register nominations

Please note: It is the responsibility of the researcher to request specific State and/or National Register nominations. The DHPA can only pull specifically identified nominations within a given project area. A list of State and/or National Register listed properties can be found at the DHPA’s website. National Register properties can also be located through the National Register of Historic Places website.